2 – 2016
Union/ HP Ref Manager
Alain Rolland, Fifteens High Performance Referee Manager
Law Reference
Law 3
Date
August 5, 2016
Request
Alain Rolland, Fifteens High Performance Referee Manager has requested clarification on the following items within law 3.14.
1. Does the injured player have to go off at the time of the foul play or can the player try to play on first?
2. Can a No. 22 who has tactically replaced No. 10, and then gets injured by foul play, be replaced by the No. 10 while other unused subs remain on the bench?
3. What is the definition of foul play for the purpose of this Law?
4. What happens if the referee plays advantage from the foul play; can the player still be replaced?
5. What happens in games where there are rolling substitutions?
6. Does the injured player have to go off permanently; or, if deemed fit, can he return later in the game?
Clarification of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
The Designated Members have reviewed this request for clarification and the below are the relevant responses.
1. Replacement should be immediate.
2. The substituted No. 10 can re-join even if another replacement is available.
3. Law 10.4 defines foul play for the purposes of this Law
4. Yes, player must be replaced at next stoppage.
5. The player will be deemed to be injured and will not be permitted to return to the field of play.
6. If a player is injured and is replaced, he may not return. There are no temporary replacements while injury is being assessed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
5. What happens in games where there are rolling substitutions?
5. The player will be deemed to be injured and will not be permitted to return to the field of play.

that's a bit tough: so if a player is winded, or has a dead leg, as a result of foul play, then you cannot take him off tactically to recover, even when you have rolling subs.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I guess you don't say he's injured, you just substitute him.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If only I could think of a way around that one. Let me thi.... Got it!

If he's replaced as an injury of course he can't come back on. However, It's easy enough for an injured player to be subbed so he can come back on it appens often in the grassroots game. Here just a slight delay and off after the pk to touch and you retain the interchange option. Obviously if he is injured badly enough it will be obvious and sa later interchange would be pointless anyway.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yep, you have got it, the winded player has to stay on until the next stoppage

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Which is a kick tyo touch away (from the PK). Big deal. They keep their exchange. Simple.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
This is confusing. I thought the point of the law was that if somebody is injured by foul play they could be replaced without that counting as a replacement and you get them off to be assessed. Are they saying that a player injured say by a punch and is bleeding, cannot return once he has been patched up?
Don't think that was the intention of the law change.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which is a kick tyo touch away (from the PK). Big deal. They keep their exchange. Simple.

Well, it rather depends where abouts on the field the PK is, and the state of the game. It may be the case that you really don't want to kick for touch

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is confusing. I thought the point of the law was that if somebody is injured by foul play they could be replaced without that counting as a replacement and you get them off to be assessed. Are they saying that a player injured say by a punch and is bleeding, cannot return once he has been patched up?

They made a quick law change, but they really hadn't thought through all the permutations (which i rather suspect is the point that Alan Rolland is making with all his questions!)

Plus to make things worse, the press release about the Law was written by someone ewho hadn't properly read and understood the Law Change.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

That would be a blood repacement so enforced otherwise sides would not change the player (as we used to do).

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it rather depends where abouts on the field the PK is, and the state of the game. It may be the case that you really don't want to kick for touch

Use a little imagination.