[Law] Law question

Last_20

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I refereed a game this weekend where at each time a kick at the posts was being taken the person bringing on the kicking tee also brought on some spectacles for the kicker to wear. The opponents objected and asked me for clarification of the law - I hadn't come across this before and allowed the player to use the spectacles (also the result in the game was already clear). I suspect reading Law 8 that the player is not allowed to wear the spectacles as other than sand, sawdust or a kicking tee nothing else is allowed to assist the kicker? Thoughts?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think I'd allow it. I point to the number of times you see Mako Vunipola fitting new contact lenses in games. Similar , I;d say.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I agree, if he is only using them for kicking from the tee, then there is not much risk of collision. Law 8 refers to the kicking tee. Some Elite players wanted to be allowed place various markers to guide their run in to the tee.
There exists a WR approved pair of goggles for open play. Ian McKinley, Italian International wears them.

It is gamesmanship from the opposition, seeking to gain an advantage by depriving the kicker of his ability to see the posts. By the way, welcome to the forum. Good first post.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Technically they are not allowed.
I don't think I would allow them.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree, if he is only using them for kicking from the tee, then there is not much risk of collision.

"Not much" risk but definitely some!
Penalty kick at goal. Kicker wearing glasses kicks and misses and ball is gathered and run back by opposition.
Kicker still wearing glasses moves to get involved......what do you do now?
Blow up game and ask for glasses to be removed! !!!!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My guess is that the ops were familiar with this kicker's need as they were prepared to ask/quote Law 8.8:

[LAWS]c. Places the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust, or a kicking tee. The
kicker may be assisted by a placer. Nothing else may be used to assist the kicker.
[/LAWS]

So . . . technically they may be correct.

However, I'd allow it and recommend that they file a clarification request with your society.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If nothing else is allowed to assist the kicker do they have to take any contact lenses out?

Didds

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If nothing else is allowed to assist the kicker do they have to take any contact lenses out?

Didds

Or can they throw a bit of grass in the air to assess the wind !!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Depends on the match I think.

Higher level league game - probably not.
Friendly, or 2nd/3rd teams etc - why not, they're there for enjoyment and if glasses make it more accessible for these "fun" players, then it's ok by me. Just get rid of them straight after the kick.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd not allow then at a PK as the game is "live" and there are obvious risks. For a conversion I'd allow them. May raise this tonight at society.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd not allow then at a PK as the game is "live" and there are obvious risks. For a conversion I'd allow them. May raise this tonight at society.

I concur with this.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Not allowed on. And I can't believe we have people who would allow it.

Are there any other artificial aids we'll allow players to have when they're taking kicks? If he doesn't wear contacts, or can't see well enough without glasses, he shouldn't be the damn kicker.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My 2p.

I'd hope some understanding of the context of the game could be considered. Level 5, no way.

Occasional 4th xv game, hopeful yes... With some caveats applied eg a quiet word that is he misses his priority is to get the surfs of thepitch before continuing. It's surely about helping the game get along target than being overly officious at these levels?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The OP is reffing at Level 10.

The RFU is part of the eye wear trial, which is positive. We need to end such discrimination in rugby. It’s one thing to cite player safety as a valid rason for not allowing glasses on the field of play. However to suggest that they are expressly forbidden by Law 8.8 c is bollox.
[LAWS]8.8c
Places the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust, or a kicking tee. The kicker may be assisted by a placer. Nothing else may be used to assist the kicker.[/LAWS]The last sentence is written in relation to the preceding one.

That is written in law to prevent a multitude of outlandish kicking tee designs and maymarks kickers have sought to bring on in the past. Law 8.8c is definitely not about forbidding glasses. They are covered by Law 4, because we wear them.[LAWS]Law 4.1
All items of clothing must comply with World Rugby Regulation 12.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it's a great question

I thin i would allow it, on the proviso that the moment after the kick is taken the glasses are handed over to the tee carrier to be taken off the pitch.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Does allowing the temporary use of specs "deliver an unfair advantage" to a team?

Or does it allow a player with impaired sight a chance to perform at a reasonable level?

Give the poor **** a break and let him have his specs.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Does allowing the temporary use of specs "deliver an unfair advantage" to a team?

Or does it allow a player with impaired sight a chance to perform at a reasonable level?

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
My thoughts are that if nobody complains then okay at a lower level game. But strictly speaking it is not allowed. After the game I would suggest that the player gets some approved goggles to alleviate the situation and if necessary just wear them for the kick. I would regard this as being in the same situation as a deaf player who is not allowed to wear a hearing aid.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd allow it at any level, but only for penalty kicks at Goal or Conversions.

The proviso being that the kicker can't participate in the game until he's removed the Specs off the pitch.

Player - " i'm just waiting for my specs ref, i can't see the posts coz of eyesight difficulties"

Ref - Peep Peep, "time off - CAPTAIN "

Ref "Captain, your Player wants to wear have specs brought on to assist his sight difficulties, I'll allow BUT if he involves himself in the game in any other way before he's removed the specs off the pitch then I will send him off for endangering other players - do you & he clearly understand this ?"

Capt - "Yes Ref".

Ref - "good then he may use the specs, and the kick clock started 25 seconds ago !"