Leg lifting in the line-out

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In an U15s game, I saw a ref FK against a team for leg lifting in the lineout. He insisted that both the lifters needed to prebind onto the shorts of the jumper.

I have a recollection of this being a Sydney Juniors local variation in the past, but I can find no record of it being valid now.

Anyone?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Full laws state:
19.10 (e) Pre-gripping is permitted. Players who are going to lift or support a team-mate jumping
for the ball may pre-grip that team-mate providing they do not pre-grip below the shorts
from behind and below the thighs from the front.

Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/22/2014 Laws/U19 Law Variations ARU 2014.pdf

Says that:

19.10 (d) At age groups U15 and below, lifting and/or supporting players must not support the jumping team-mate below the shorts. There is to be no lifting on the legs.
Sanction:
free Kick on the 15m line.

19.10 (e)
Add: At age groups U15 and below, players who are going to lift or support a team-mate jumping for the ball may not pre-grip below the shorts
Sanction:
free Kick on the 15m line.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Lifting starts at U16 in clubs in England, we're leg lifting at u16 for the first time on 14\9. !!! Should be interesting.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
In an U15s game, I saw a ref FK against a team for leg lifting in the lineout. He insisted that both the lifters needed to prebind onto the shorts of the jumper.

I have a recollection of this being a Sydney Juniors local variation in the past, but I can find no record of it being valid now.

Anyone?

Sydney Juniors rule:

Under 10 to Under 12: No lifting, must have 7 in, no QTI

Under 13 to Under 15: Lifting allowed with grip on shorts, short lines and QTI allowed

Under 16 up: Full IRB laws