Leggings

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps East Midlands should do the same - I know you have good guys like John Wearing and Paul Rogers on board.

I'll mention it to John but the reality is that John's, Paul's and Andrew Roger's directives don't ever make it past club secretaries.

Mini rugby is effectively "ungoverned" in almost all clubs. It's all parents "doing their best".

And when their best is "what we did when I was at school", you can imagine what goes on.

Only what is properly put in writing, on the RFU website has a chance of being seen by the target group.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Refereed a women's Uni game today and had to tell four players they couldn't wear leggings/tights.

The reasons, according to the captains, was;

1. "They don't like getting muddy".
2. "They're self-concious about their size". (two of them were units mind).

Not my problem - some element of apathy regarding being self-concious, but they're outlawed and that's that at senior level.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not my problem - some element of apathy regarding being self-concious, but they're outlawed and that's that at senior level.

Why? What's the big deal?

Women's rugby is almost non-existent and needs all the players it can get. If they want to wear leggings, what does it matter?

(Sure if it's the women's 6 nations, then stick to the letter of the law - but, then again, as England has won again and it's almost impossible to find mention of that on the RFU website let alone anywhere else in the media, what does it matter if even they wear leggings? I mean it's not as if it was on TV or anything!)

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Sorry gents, but I'm struggling to imagine what "Leggins" or "Tights" even look like. :eek:

Anyone got a photo or possibly a link to some on a retailers site?

Check out the thread Rugby in Antartica. There are some legging pictures.

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
happy with tops
Skins1.jpg

Not with tights
Skinsbottoms.jpg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My skins top must be defective because I don't look anything like that picture in mine :confused:

Skid986

Referees in England
Post Likes

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon, sorry for the delay in replying but for a change work had to come first.
Can I reply to some of your points?
Firstly we are all aware of the drop in adult players. Locally to me clubs who put out 4 or 5 sides now struggle to put out 3. My own club regularly put out 5 side with an additional 'student side in September, at christmas and Easter. Now 3 most weeks, to often only 2, the student side has vanished. Yes the mini and juniors is vibrant (without it we would fold financially) but to many youngsters do not play once they reach University.
Varioius members have said the laws must be obeyed. However I refer to the ELRA course I took 2ish years ago and the concept of Materiality explained to me simply 'as does it matter'. I fail to see how the wearing of leggings make a difference to the playing of the game or to the safety of the players. If all the laws are to be obeyed then why, at all levels, are referees not taken to task about the put in at the scrum. I only referee alternate weeks (work again) but am able to watch on none refereeing afternoons if work allows so I see games from level 4 down. The number of straight put ins at the scrum in all the games I have seen this season can be counted on one hand.
As for scrum collapses they occur at all levels, sometimes due to bad technique and lack of knowledge but often because the players want to cheat amd the referee has been told to 'manage the situation'. In discussion with a National Panel referee earlier this season he made it clear a high penalty count went against him.
We have laws which are, by definition, open to interpretation. In my games leggings are OK they are not dangerous and well down my list of priorities to make the game safe and enjoyable for all.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Oldman

On leggings, the RFU and IRB have made their guidance / ruling clear. I have made our Society's consistent approach clear to our members. I know (as I have discussed it with him) what DB's view is too, so I would expect compliance from London Society members. Consistency is very important in all aspects of match officiating.

You have a personal view that you wish to follow that goes against that advice / guidance and consisytency, and you justify it by refering to other Laws and materiality, and personal observations.

Your approach is not how I try to deal with matters that have been reached by policy setting bodies and a group that I am a member of.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
As for the four women wearing leggings, sorry, but the feedback I get from women's teams/players is that all they want is to be refereed/treated equally, so while it's not a case of me parading around like a little Hitler and demanding they remove any tights, it's simply a quiet word to the captain that they can't wear them.

There was no issues and this was some Uni final anyway - just like I refuse to stop for every single injury (we had three within first three minute - nothing more than bumps and bruises), they soon get used it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As for the four women wearing leggings, sorry, but the feedback I get from women's teams/players is that all they want is to be refereed/treated equally,
Any Muslim women in that group? Or don't we care if they are denied access top the game by the essential rugby need to cover the knee?

Does anyone know why the rugby authorities consider a covered knee to be such an important matter that it justifies eliminating an entire religion from the women's game?

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dixie,

No, there weren't any Muslims in the group.

If there were and they wanted to keep them on, it would be a case of asking the opposing team if they had any major issues with the player keeping the leggings on.

As for the IRB elimating an entire religion from the women's game - I've contacts in Isreal, Egypt and Asia, all of whom are enjoying an upsurge in the game - never once I have I heard of clothing being an issue.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Any Muslim women in that group? Or don't we care if they are denied access top the game by the essential rugby need to cover the knee?

Does anyone know why the rugby authorities consider a covered knee to be such an important matter that it justifies eliminating an entire religion from the women's game?

We have had this come up in Ohio. Leggings have been permitted for that reason, I do not know the official response verbatim. There is also a facial cover and head-dress of some kind. I rarely get assigned women's games and haven't seen this.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Some of those leggings could be slippy, and therefore make tackling difficult.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
perhaps the clubs, players and coaches should look at their own behaviour and self-discpline first !

perhaps SOME clubs, players and coaches should look at their own behaviour and self-discpline etc...

didds2

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've contacts in Isreal, Egypt and Asia, all of whom are enjoying an upsurge in the game - never once I have I heard of clothing being an issue.
As someone who lives and officiates in an area with a significant Muslim population, I can't imagine it NOT being an issue!