No likey, no lightey!

or to put it another way.......

No letter, no leggings!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Can you let them know in advance of the game that you will be needing to see the letter.
That way you can avoid confrontation on the day.

that would be the nice thing to do wouldn't it :chin: , but the ***ker lied to me last time:knuppel2:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
that would be the nice thing to do wouldn't it :chin: , but the ***ker lied to me last time:knuppel2:

i can see where you are coming from.
nevertheless a confrontation on the day sounds distracting and time consuming. If was me I'd rather arrive in the zone for the game, doing PMB, stud checks, warm ups and match plans ... not thinking about rfu regulations, leggings and the possibiity of forged RFU letters ... :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If the RFU has sent him a letter, it is surely for public consumption, so they should have no problem confirming it. Why not ask them?

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I see your leggings and raise you meggings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2542655/Are-meggings-mainstream-The-hit-29-95-leggings-designed-male-body-mind.html

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If the RFU has sent him a letter, it is surely for public consumption, so they should have no problem confirming it. Why not ask them?

Now there's an option, any idea on which dept to speak to?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if he does produce a letter you might think of getting your phone out an taking a picture of it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think you have two options

1 - ignore the leggings and let him play, even if the opposing captain objects

2 - tell the club a week in advance that you'll be wanting to see the letter. .

I don't think you should leave it all to the day, asking to see a letter in the short time before KO is a big distraction and standoff. If they have a weeks notice then you can be pretty sure that they'll sort it out one way or another before the game.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
if letting someone with a skin disease wear tights is letting the lunatics take over - I'm going to have to differ wholeheartedly. it's called not dealing with something very trivial. somewhat akin to the swapping of the receiver. :pepper:

- - - Updated - - -

how do I like my own post?

I gave it a like for you.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Now there's an option, any idea on which dept to speak to?

what a stupid question ! No one will know what dept to speak to, I don't even know what depts there are this week and who is in which. So all roads lead to the Editor of Touchline :biggrin:

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
He should know, he's got a letter remember ? He should be able to send you direct to the signatory.

How did it go ?

- - - Updated - - -

ah two weeks time...sorry.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
BFG

Surely you could bring this subject up in a society meeting and get a ruling sorted at the start of the season then everyone avoids the problem week in week out.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
In response to IANH on another thread -

Over the past two weeks I have refereed many school tournaments at all ages and skill levels - last night's involved six teams and there were insufficient rugby players between them to form one team, but what they lacked in skill, they more than made up for in enthusiasm so well done to the various teachers involved!

However, at every tournament there has been at least one and in several cases, more than one, player wearing leggings. Whenever a player doing so has walked onto my pitch I have insisted on their removal before we kicked off. However, the common retort that no-one else insists on so doing by player and coach has been backed up in conversations with fellow referees at these tournaments.

The most common comment from the referees is that leggings are not banned - see various replies above! - but a response that is increasing rapidly is that no-one else bothers so why should I?

These comments come from referees from the North Mids, Staffs and Warks Societies!

However, it does have some effect. At one school tournament, I spoke in passing to a player lounging about and told him that if I was to referee him that day, he would not be allowed to play in the leggings he was wearing. Three hours later, I refereed him in a semi-final and made him remove them. Two days later, I refereed the same player in another tournament and he made a point of coming over to me and pointing out his lack of leggings. His teacher later informed me that his team mates had burnt them, on the mini-bus, on the way home from the first tournament!!!!!!

I was informed at one tournament that leggings were worn for medical reasons but no proof was forthcoming. It was that particular team's final match of the day and the result was unimportant to the tournament, so I let it go, stupidly! At another tournament, he duly showed up without the leggings - I had a very constructive discussion with the teacher concerned and the organisers from the first tournament who were also there made an official complaint to the school concerned to which I was copied!

NM

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I believe the rulling/guidance was, "they can be worn if it's cold" :shrug:

Very rarely ref youth games now (except my own side in "friendlies") and nobody wears them in my side.

Going back to the issue i raised above about the player that wears them due to "medical reason", I was moved and didn't get to ref him :Looser:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I believe the rulling/guidance was, "they can be worn if it's cold" :shrug:

Very rarely ref youth games now (except my own side in "friendlies") and nobody wears them in my side.

Going back to the issue i raised above about the player that wears them due to "medical reason", I was moved and didn't get to ref him :Looser:

Sorry, its 19° - its not cold, lose the leggings .............. Coach "But he suffers from the cold, so 19° is cold to him ...."

Subjective wording such as "cold" !!!!!!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so if 19° is not cold... is 18°?

if 18° is not cold ... is 17°?

when is "cold" ?

didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
When it is cold, not when you are cold. (September in England was cold for me, on returning from the summer abroad - everybody else thought that it was very balmy.)

Admittedly take wind chill (and humidity) into account as well as the temperature. 5C while blasted by an Atlantic squall feels MUCH colder than 5C on a clear day at the same latitude in e.g. Norway.