Level of chat

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Taffy,
1. I don't have data to comment.

2. No. Permappealing is a disease, it ruins my enjoyment of refereeing their contest, and RARELY EVER factors in materiality OR VERY RARELY any technical law knowledge or game management skill.

3. Yes. And be consistent next week. But I'd replace "control" with 'standards'

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I believe there is a difference between players that talk their way through a game and those that are out to try and sway a refs decisions.

I have no issue with players that voice "knock on" or "forward" as just part of a reaction to what's going on around them, but when players start shouting at me i'll draw a line.

I have to say though that when the backs start caling for things in the rucks/scrums I usually laugh more than ping them, they soon shut up!

BFG if that works for you, good, but I find if I don't clamp down on the chat such as "forward" "hands" etc it can lead to a problem is a player appeals for "forward" just as you blow up, the opposition may get the impression you have been swayed by the appeal and they then start appealing too. It can then escalate.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have no issue with players that voice "knock on" or "forward" as just part of a reaction to what's going on around them, but when players start shouting at me i'll draw a line.

Who do you think they are aiming those appeals at??????

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
nobody, they're just talking about the game. I did it all the time, I wasn't shouting at the ref just reacting to what I'd seen.

You're driving along and someone pulls out in front of you, causing you to break hard, I'm guessing most would react, saying something like "you silly fool, try opening your eyes, did you not see me approaching" or words to that effect?

Can they hear you? No, but you still do it!

But in all seriousness, if a player eyeballs me and shouts for something, well that's a different story! Do you expect players to play in silence?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The problem is that if someone shouts "forward pass", and you then whistle for it, they get the impression that you are reacting to their call. One side gets miffed, the other decides to try it again.

It is unnecessary, and the game is better without it. Manage it in accordance with the temper of the game.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
blow quicker!

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Had a to have a chat with a 2nd rower last Sunday re chat, nothing major just marking his card for him, called him over and he stood right up against me (closer than you normally would) in what I believed to be a childish effort to intimidate me. I'm only 5 7 so he was towering over me.

I just looked at him and said Seriously ? you want to go down that route ? of course there was the whole I don't know what you're talking about excuse.

I told him to cease the verbals and he did in fairness but have any of you come across this behaviour before ?

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Think it was Ian Tempest who earlier in the season had to say to Stuart Hooper "you need to respect my space, please".

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had a to have a chat with a 2nd rower last Sunday re chat, nothing major just marking his card for him, called him over and he stood right up against me (closer than you normally would) in what I believed to be a childish effort to intimidate me. I'm only 5 7 so he was towering over me.

I just looked at him and said Seriously ? you want to go down that route ? of course there was the whole I don't know what you're talking about excuse.

I told him to cease the verbals and he did in fairness but have any of you come across this behaviour before ?

Sort of. Had a prop come far too close and stare at me (posted before about this). Decided quickly that he was trying to intimidate me so off he went for ten minutes. As he was leaving asked for my name and association, so decided this was another piece of dissent so turned the yellow into :norc:

Not everybody happy, but made the point.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Think it was Ian Tempest who earlier in the season had to say to Stuart Hooper "you need to respect my space, please".

Think Matt Carley said similar on the weekend when someone rushed up to him to appeal something and got very close very quick.

(edited for spelling mistakes :hap:)

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
nobody, they're just talking about the game. I did it all the time, I wasn't shouting at the ref just reacting to what I'd seen.

You're driving along and someone pulls out in front of you, causing you to break hard, I'm guessing most would react, saying something like "you silly fool, try opening your eyes, did you not see me approaching" or words to that effect?

But in all seriousness, if a player eyeballs me and shouts for something, well that's a different story! Do you expect players to play in silence?

I kinda get what BFG is saying Its all about the level of acceptability, use judgement and manage it.
I'd often use "7s offside, or he's not binding correctly" to set a flanker back on his heels, or, into reverse just prior to setting off to exploit the extra space my chat had created. If you try and cancel this "game commentary", then you'll fail, but players that cross into permanent appealing need to be discouraged. Its certainly a more enjoyable match without it.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes

They dont need to appeal no, its not wendyball.

But if I shout at another car driver, it totally is directed towards them.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think you have to use common sense with players' comments. Even if they are not directed at you they can create a "culture" that in some games will lead to an escalation of problems.

I have "replied": "thanks for the advice Red . But you play, and I'll ref thank you". as an opener. Possibly sarcastuc / talking down to them. But it works for me.

There has always be chat (although one ex first class 9 tells me that in the 60s the game was played in silence - Hmmmmm!!??) and the odd comment will happen and they are not always directed at us specifically. So manage the situation. You are in the middle. So deal with it in a way that works for you. If you get it wrong this time try different methods until you find some that work for you.

viper492

Post Likes
Sort of. Had a prop come far too close and stare at me (posted before about this). Decided quickly that he was trying to intimidate me so off he went for ten minutes.

Not having seen the other post, what was the result of the Judiciary for the RC? SOS or did he cop a few weeks?

EDIT: Found the post. Reading now and if there's nothing in there, I'll post in the correct thread.

Last edited: