Lifting prohibited

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
5.6 Law 19 Line-Out

5.6.3 The line-out extends from 5 metres from touch to 15 metres in-field and parallel with the touchline. Lifting/supporting is prohibited at this age group, i.e. a player may not bind to a jumper until he/she has returned to the ground.
Penalty: Penalty Kick.

I've always assumed that lifting is prohibited across the board, but does it only apply to Law 19 and the line out? I've never seen any team lifting to receive a drop out restart for example, would expect to see a penalty for that.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
In USA v. Wales they lifted and didn't get penalty off a kickoff

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
5.6 Law 19 Line-Out

5.6.3 The line-out extends from 5 metres from touch to 15 metres in-field and parallel with the touchline. Lifting/supporting is prohibited at this age group, i.e. a player may not bind to a jumper until he/she has returned to the ground.
Penalty: Penalty Kick.

I've always assumed that lifting is prohibited across the board, but does it only apply to Law 19 and the line out? I've never seen any team lifting to receive a drop out restart for example, would expect to see a penalty for that.

What are you quoting from? Lifting is permitted in all senior rugby and from U15 as caveated above.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
What are you quoting from?

Looks like the RFU youth variations.

Lifting is permitted in all senior rugby and from U15 as caveated above.

I think the point is the variations don't mention lifting outside the line out.

Like so many things, this is a development in the game the regulators haven't caught up with.

Personally, given the reason it's forbidden in the line out is because of safety concerns, I'd not permit it elsewhere on the field.

I may raise this with the RFU.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good point PaulDG, albeit I cannot recall ever seeing a lift / support from restart in either low level adult (9 and below) or U19 and younger matches, except at U18 County level.

In the Community Game the traditional high restart to between 11 and 20m is far rarer these days and so there are less situations of competing jumpers and hence the need to support the defensive jumper who is stationary.

At Elite levels we see it a lot more, and it is a practised drill.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've always thought lifting to receive a kick is an unfair contest and should be banned but it isn't.
At least we've been told to clamp down on the obstruction/blocking as the receiver s brought to ground and I have to say this is one instruction even the elite game is conforming to.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've always thought lifting to receive a kick is an unfair contest and should be banned but it isn't.
A running player can jump higher than a stationary one.

If you banned lifting, then the receiver would also have to run and jump, significantly increasing mid-air collisions

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes

Not at all, both teams can lift to catch so fairly equal, the kicking team also have an advantage of knowing where the ball should go ;)

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Imagine the airtime the kicker would have to achieve in order for the attacking team to race forward, set and lift.
Would be a good laugh at the Xmas vets match to start with a ball filled with helium though .....