Lifting/raising a leg

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Your first sentence is correct.
Your second sentence is inaccurate. The BC must go to ground (in law "brought to ground") in the grasp of an opponent.
Your third sentence is rubbish.

By the way it's not rubbish. The action was dangerous because the ref deemed it to be so. As sole judge of fact that's an end to your "rubbish" comment. If "you" are a ref deem it dangerous, then that's what it is. You have your answer.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Is that the referee equivalent of the parental "because I said so"?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Of course if something dangerous is happening you have to stop it, but I don't see how you can penalise something which isn't illegal.
If you stop play for safety reasons then the restart is scrum to team in possession / going forward / attacking side.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Is that the referee equivalent of the parental "because I said so"?

To a point yes. The ref is the sole judge. so if the ref in the OP decides it is dangerous play then it is.

crossref said:
Of course if something dangerous is happening you have to stop it, but I don't see how you can penalise something which isn't illegal.
If you stop play for safety reasons then the restart is scrum to team in possession / going forward / attacking side.

Dangerous play is an offence.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From the OP: “Another defending player picked one leg up to stop him going forward. I told this player to release his leg as this could have been dangerous.”

From Pegleg post #2: “The action of lifting a leg as you describe is dangerous play and should be pinged as such.”

I agree that 'dangerous' is in the eye of the referee. Nothing in the OP description of the event indicated a specific danger. Note that the OP included "could".

Therefore I took your statement to mean that all leg lifting was dangerous. And that is rubbish.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
He's describing a situation that caused him to act as a preventative measure. If the player had not responded the to "Tell" surely he would have "Pinged". If it was not dangerous in his mind then a "keep it legal" "careful" comment would have been appropriate. So I stand by my comment that " “The action of lifting a leg as you describe is dangerous play and should be pinged as such.”

Of course it may be that in different circumstances it would not be dangerous.

I accept your apology.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Your gracious acceptance is humbly acknowledged. However, your curtsy was unnecessary.