Limits on free speech

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Quite.

But one can still select anybody one wants to and try and offend them - that's not the same as saying I will always try to offend everyone.
I don't really see the point.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Making threats is not freedom of speech but common assault actually.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
OB - you don't see the point of trying to be offensive to those who deserve it?

You're far too nice.

Remember freedom is never given only taken.

Not sure if you're trying to take the piss or not - but as it happens agree entirely with your comment. I suspect Rousseau was onto to the same sentiment when he declared that man was born free, yet he is everywhere in chains.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suspect Rousseau was onto to the same sentiment when he declared that man was born free, yet he is everywhere in chains.

At least they aren't in leggings.

didds

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OB - you don't see the point of trying to be offensive to those who deserve it?

You're far too nice.

Not sure if you're trying to take the piss or not - but as it happens agree entirely with your comment. I suspect Rousseau was onto to the same sentiment when he declared that man was born free, yet he is everywhere in chains.

Now why would I be taking the piss?

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Eh? It might look like it but I normally do have a point. Thats how I was molded and that is me. I will say what I think but I prefer to find out what the other people know or what are the general conception of a thing. So I might tease but I do have reason. Anyways why would I say freedom is never given just taken in threat concerning human rights?

When I finished school I joined the police force and was a detective for almost 7 years till I left the service. Probably one of the reasons why I will first try and find out what the other parties know before getting to a point as its the finer details what people say that is important. That and we studied all the laws, human rights which is basically based on the UK laws. Our laws never changed basically just we got a constitution. And in every country the constitution is the highest law. Only time when criminal laws can remove some of your rights is when people are detained or arrested as you take away their freedom of movement. Also that threatening someone and that person is under the believe that you are able to make good on it its common assault. Then off course you get your civil laws where that person can sue you for making any statements against a person. Freedom of speech or harmful intent? Line could be very thin between those.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Freedom of speech or harmful intent? Line could be very thin between those.

And indeed I may well say or write things which are deliberately designed to bring harm to someone else; in the sense of trying to prevent them being elected to a post, or continuing do something to which I am opposed. As long as what say is true (and I am not threatening physical violence) then there is nothing anyone could, or should be able to, do about it.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And indeed I may well say or write things which are deliberately designed to bring harm to someone else; in the sense of trying to prevent them being elected to a post, or continuing do something to which I am opposed. As long as what say is true (and I am not threatening physical violence) then there is nothing anyone could, or should be able to, do about it.

Criminal no. Civil yes.