[Line out] Line out again from penalty offence??

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Society meeting last week had a quiz. One point made was that if eg Red committed a penalty offence in the line out itself (pulling jumper down, etc.), then Blue had the option of having their throw into a new line out at the same line of touch, (rather than having to kick the penalty out for it).

I could not find a law reference for this! Can someone help me out?

I have this dim recollection that maybe this was trialled as a fix for line out PKs when time is expired, but while I was on hiatus so I never reffed it. I assume it was ultimately not implemented into law as the change that allowed line outs from PKs after time expires has made it redundant. Help, please!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 20.4 A team awarded a penalty or free-kick at a lineout may instead choose a lineout or a scrum at the same mark.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]Law 4.7 A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:
A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly.
The referee awards a free-kick or penalty.
A penalty is kicked directly to touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.
A try has been scored, in which case the referee allows time for the conversion to be taken.[/LAWS]

Note that this one applies to PK only- booting a FK directly to touch DOES end the half

:)

Last edited:

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks crossref. Do you know when this was changed/added? I don’t recall it from my pre-hiatus (2011) days.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Crossref - have you already found this site? If not, I fear we may now lose you for days...
http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/laws.htm

Love that site ! Thanks

"The walk in front of the Headmaster's House, leading to the Barby Road is in goal"

I think they should bring back this law in time for the World Cup 2019. I can just see the debates as to what constitutes "in front" of the House :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Love that site ! Thanks

"The walk in front of the Headmaster's House, leading to the Barby Road is in goal"

I think they should bring back this law in time for the World Cup 2019. I can just see the debates as to what constitutes "in front" of the House :)

"The Island is all in goal.".

"Three Praepostors constitute a big-side."

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
"The Island is all in goal.".

"Three Praepostors constitute a big-side."

All matches are drawn after five days, but after three if no goal has been kicked.

I guess the refs were all a bit fitter then ;)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
All matches are drawn after five days, but after three if no goal has been kicked.

I guess the refs were all a bit fitter then ;)
There were no refs.

"Heads of sides, or two deputies appointed by them, are the sole arbiters of all disputes."