Line out History

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I saw both today, I’d strongly consider “reversing” and awarding the penalty to the team who didn’t dive.
I’ve stated similar opinions in this forum a few times, to general disagreement, but I can’t stand that kind of stuff.

“Captain, you had a penalty coming for your player being pushed down in the lineout, but the very unsportsmanlike display has resulted in a penalty awarded to red instead. If I see it happen again in this game, the consequences will be more serious.”
I would concur. As Alan Martin said the Wheel offence was happening throughout the game and was not felt worthy of a whistle until that line-out. Consistency?

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is that an offence?
At "best" it is acts cotrary to good sportsmanship so YES. Incidentally I answered the same question (post 35) in post 36.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I remember throwing to either Front, Middle or (rarely) Back - not sure I was aiming at a specific player (looking back, perhaps that was where I went wrong :) )

I am I right that in those days all the players had to stand a 1m apart? This meant that 'back' was rather a long way away.
I still remember my old clubs calls for front, middle or back despite never throwing in and rarely being involved in a line out

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Is that an offence?
Yes, It is an offence.
I don’t have the precise law number but I am pretty certain that it is a penalty offence to do anything that causes the ref to believe that there has been an offence by the oppposition.

(definitely better worded than that in the law book)

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Yes, It is an offence.
I don’t have the precise law number but I am pretty certain that it is a penalty offence to do anything that causes the ref to believe that there has been an offence by the oppposition.

(definitely better worded than that in the law book)
Law 9.7.c

A player must not:
C. Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement.
Sanction: Penalty

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Law 9.7.c

A player must not:
C. Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement.
Sanction: Penalty
But not in 1978 it wasnt

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure Quittenton said he penalized something else, didn;t he?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And that is what Quitendon said at the time too. What about that Bob Deans though?