Line out maul ?

wrighty

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Saw this last night.Whites won LO, blues all stepped back, therefore no contact, whites proceeded to set it up and drive anyway, blues then claimed obstruction.Referee played on.Right or wrong under which law please ?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It depends.
If the ball is at the front of the group so the player in possession can be tackled, ref is correct to play on.
If the ball is moved to the back of the group of white players, blue have a case for obstruction. Ref may try and help the situation with a "use it" call.

HOWEVER - if, in "stepping back" as you put it, blue left the lineout, they are themselves liable to sanction.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
This topic has been done a few times, here is the latest thread on it

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?16472-Wales-line-out-tactic-in-IRB-Junior-World-Cup

Basically you need to make sure the ball carrying team keep the ball at the front of their setup otherwise they can be said to be obstructing the ball carrier. Some refs are keen to ping the defending side for "leaving the lineout" but I am not a fan of this unless they really take a big step backwards.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"Leaving the line-out"? Please cite law and explain!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"Leaving the line-out"? Please cite law and explain!

19.9 (b) ruck or maul paragraph "When a ruck or maul develops in a lineout, and all the feet of all the players in the ruck or maul move beyond the line of touch, the lineout ends"

19.14 (e) and sanction for leaving the lineout before it ends

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
19.9 (b) ruck or maul paragraph "When a ruck or maul develops in a lineout, and all the feet of all the players in the ruck or maul move beyond the line of touch, the lineout ends"

19.14 (e) and sanction for leaving the lineout before it ends

Marauder will now tell you that because of the failure to engage, neither a ruck nor a maul had formed. In which case he will argue isn't the l/out over the moment the ball leaves the line of touch?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
True, my mistake! Was following on from the thread title in my head!

However if the ball hasn't left the line of touch, or the player hasn't left the lineout, then it still follows that the other side can't move away.

Last edited:

wrighty

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Marauder will now tell you that because of the failure to engage, neither a ruck nor a maul had formed. In which case he will argue isn't the l/out over the moment the ball leaves the line of touch?
Law 19.14 (I) helps..
Any player taking part in the l.o. must join the ruck or maul or retire to the offside line....etc.Offside line being the back foot.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Law 19.14 (I) helps..
Any player taking part in the l.o. must join the ruck or maul or retire to the offside line....etc.Offside line being the back foot.
What ruck or maul? Unless the opponents join in, there isn't one.