Line out maul

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That is a really badly written law. "providing they keep moving"! what does that mean? They can't stand still? I guess it is written on the assumption that one player will take up the traditional scrum half position but it doesn't actually say that.

Well the team that wins the ball really, you can't be in a position to receive a ball that the opposition jumper has under control.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
This is a very rare scenario, assuming the ball has stayed at the front (default line out maul setup means it probably hasn’t),

I suspect any team with more than a soupcon of nous is alreday/has already worked on not slipping the ball post catch and land until sure oppo contact is made. For several years now youd be foolish to do so given the common knowledge of "not enganging immediately".

didds

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect any team with more than a soupcon of nous is alreday/has already worked on not slipping the ball post catch and land until sure oppo contact is made. For several years now youd be foolish to do so given the common knowledge of "not enganging immediately".

didds

Except you see it regularly on TV and as such, referees in the weeds get pressure to let it go in favour of a flowing match.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Except you see it regularly on TV and as such, referees in the weeds get pressure to let it go in favour of a flowing match.

all i can say then is if in TV rugby the ball is slipped with no contact made, then contact is made and a PK not awarded then this is just TV rugby whistling, and like so much else at that level it stuffs grass roots refs who blow the laws as written etc etc

didds

Last edited: