Lineout 5m from goal line

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
For me it's the change of pace in a Rugby Union match that makes it entertaining. The various set pieces combine to give tactical possibilities and change of pace compared to the open running and fast paced passing moves. A few pick and goes on the goal line keeps me on the edge of my seat. Variety is the spice of the game.
Compare that to League. Run three strides get tackled by two blokes, get up, heel the ball, pass, run three strides etc. till you run out of goes than politely give the ball to the other side who run three strides...............................

I could live without Twickenham Tennis. But I do feel that few are taking advantage of the 50-22 possibilities.
And please sort out the scrums.
I think we should stop being so sniffy about League.

They have a far superior TV product - at least over here. I watch their whole catalogue over the weekend when it's on. A good NRL game is a fantastic 80 minutes of television. The Super Rugby is a lot less compelling.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we should stop being so sniffy about League.

They have a far superior TV product - at least over here. I watch their whole catalogue over the weekend when it's on. A good NRL game is a fantastic 80 minutes of television. The Super Rugby is a lot less compelling.
Do you think RU is sniffy about league? I think we are unduly influenced by it.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not sure how we could take some steam out of the maul short of a law change such as to mandate keeping the ball at the front of the maul. That may remove some of the potency but would be a nightmare to enforce with all the bodies coming in and out and put refs in a really awkward position...

…so I expect it to be added soon. 😠

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not sure how we could take some steam out of the maul short of a law change such as to mandate keeping the ball at the front of the maul. That may remove some of the potency but would be a nightmare to enfor.,...
it would also be a nightmare to actually then extract the ball form the maul .to the extent it cant happen or every maul ends up a tackle/ruck once all the attackers/ball mauling team have left to provide access to the ball-at-the-front

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I like a good maul but top class refs constantly ignore, ball carrier slipping back, players binding in front of ball carrier,( Lifters at line out seems to be creeping in again) and calling same maul when it has obviously and deliberately moved sideways and disengaged.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
agree.
and the one time I think these Laws combine to create a problem is the attacking line out, 5m out, when a try becomes a bit too easy. Hence my thought that when it's a lineout from a PK (as it usually is) you are getting two bites at the cherry (the territory/possession AND the easy try) so why not move those particular LOs back to 10m)
Not always - see Eng v Wales 2015 World Cup group match, with score at 25-28. A kick to draw or ......... It was deemed at that point to be the wrong decision but would now be deemed wrong if you didn't take the "banker"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not always - see Eng v Wales 2015 World Cup group match, with score at 25-28. A kick to draw or ......... It was deemed at that point to be the wrong decision but would now be deemed wrong if you didn't take the "banker"
Yes,we have discussed that recently. The rewards for a draw were high.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Under the 9some?) new trials etc - this would permit seeing as the oppo never competed in the air.

maybe this would be the immediate gotcha to that law - - never lift a jumper just throw to him, oppo will probably never get a chance to compete - and how does one compete for a non jumper caught throw anyway? what consitutes competing/ Hmmm...

didds

Last edited: