Lineout quiz

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sure - I referenced 18.27 as it demonstrates the 2019 laws differentiating the roles of player in the lineout and receiver.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I think it is one of those situations where it is legal on TV rugby but doubtful at community level where the laws are applied with a bit more rigour. Assuming that the referee actually knows the laws. Some of our colleagues at L14 can be excused.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Sure - I referenced 18.27 as it demonstrates the 2019 laws differentiating the roles of player in the lineout and receiver.

But the definitions still refer to participating players as being the thrower, his immediate opponent, and 1 receiver each team and the other players in the lines. In the definitions there doesn't seem to be any difference, from what I read.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
But the definitions still refer to participating players as being the thrower, his immediate opponent, and 1 receiver each team and the other players in the lines. In the definitions there doesn't seem to be any difference, from what I read.

The difference is that the current law states they lineout players may compete for the ball once the lineout commences i.e. those players standing in the two lines. It doesn’t say that other participating players, i.e. receivers, may do the same.