[Line out] Lineout thoughts ...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Here's a lineout training game - I like the concept.

Forgetting about coaching validity etc (that's for coaches to decide on) form a refs perspective what might you see in this?

https://twitter.com/TheHollingworth/status/1087611138613886976

[ no need for a twitter account - it should still be available ]

Im being deliberately vague about what I think _I_ see that may be questionable from a refs/law persepctive ... (and I may of course be very wrong!)

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Early jump. Why? :chin:

18.20 Players must not jump or be lifted or supported before the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in. Sanction: Free-kick.

It's obviously a coached tactic.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Early jump. Why? :chin:

18.20 Players must not jump or be lifted or supported before the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in. Sanction: Free-kick.

It's obviously a coached tactic.

agree - except all front jumps pretty much break this law, so that wasn;t what i was thinking of TBH. That's doesn;t make you point invalid ... but I never see this pinged as long as the ball comes in ina timely manner etc

- - - Updated - - -

ah - missed you point about early jump - and I agree.

front pod ju8mps - wll the "jumper"'s feet elave the floor before the middle pod goes up and the throw comes in.

didds

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I was trying to figure out why youd do that with the posts there. Guess it give hooker a marginally smaller "straight" gap to get it into, and the height issue with teh cross bar.

As per above, if youre going to give that as an early jump FK, youre going to have a lot of lineout FKs...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Id say its a way to play a game using a skill - so the trwoing team score a point if they throw-catch-and "duymp" the ball on the oppo side, with the cross bar actung a net.

If the throwing team "fail" then control passes to the other team etc.

The piurpose being to gain posession of the ball in clear space - oppo don;t win it, can;t get even close (hence the dumping volleyball idea.).

its just a bit of fun, whilst creating pressure and gets away from the oh-so-standard lets-do-lineout-practise-along-a-touchline-with-not-much-relevance. Its nothing to do with throwing gaps .IMO.

WRT the early jump thing - i was querying the dummy jump. which was an "early jump" as it happened before the throw. So yes technically i suppose an early jump but I think would normally be described as a dummy jump. Personally I don';t mind a shuffle and a knee flex - but this guy's feet actually leave the floor.

didds

didds

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Agree with all the above - certainly a dummy jump, but I thought the main problem was the blatant throw forward!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
a next step (for me) would be to have a receiver in the opponent's court to drop the ball off the top to, to score, to further replicate game play.

cheers for the agreement over early/dummy jump. TBH I was somewhat dissapointed in that as I think this was on a RFU CPD (I may be wrong).

didds

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
11.7 - Penalty
:D

(edit: wot Pinky said...)

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
The front jumper went early; Was it material? Did he trick an opponent into jumping? Did he trick the oppo 9? In this case I can see no problem but I wouldn't like to see this throughout the game -talk him out of it. If he does it on opponents throw it probably IS material straight away.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The front jumper went early; Was it material? Did he trick an opponent into jumping? Did he trick the oppo 9? In this case I can see no problem but I wouldn't like to see this throughout the game -talk him out of it.
It's not the most serious offence in the book, but it does grate on opposition players / coaches / supporters so it's probably best to nip it in the bud. ATP again probably especially if it didn't have the effect intended. Ask. Tell. Penalise.

It is obviously designed to trick the opposition to jump early as well, which isn't allowed. Just like a dummy pass from the back of a scrum (which I quite liked BTW) it's a FK offence.

... If he does it on opponents throw it probably IS material straight away.
I would assume it was more material on their own throw. :chin:

When it's an opponents throw, the jumpers should know when the ball is coming in, so the early jumper is only disadvantaging himself.

Last edited: