Lineout within 5m of Goal Line

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Law 19.8 covers where a lineout takes place. For a kick into touch it states that the location of the mark of touch as where the ball reaches the touchline.

I cannot remember seeing a lineout in a televised game where the lineout is taken closer than 5m from the Goal Line.

Can a lineout still be taken within 5m of the Goal Line or has the law been changed in line with a scrum so that it cannot be closer than 5m?

Thanks.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You have never been able to have a lineout within 5m of the goal line?

EDIT: Having said that the following line which was in the 2017 Law Book seems to have disappeared in the disastrous re-write of 2018. I cant find it in the current law book either, unless its hidden in some obscure location :shrug:

[LAWS]19.(o) The line of touch must not be within 5 metres of the goal line.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Lineouts no closer that 5m from goal line has been in Law for a while but I recall having them closer when I started playing in the early 80s. I'd guess it changed between 85-93.

OB.. seems to know this sort of stuff. Wait for him to land.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You have never been able to have a lineout within 5m of the goal line?

EDIT: Having said that the following line which was in the 2017 Law Book seems to have disappeared in the disastrous re-write of 2018. I cant find it in the current law book either, unless its hidden in some obscure location :shrug:

[LAWS]19.(o) The line of touch must not be within 5 metres of the goal line.[/LAWS]

It is there, on page 19 In the "Definitions"

L
Line of touch: See mark of touch.
Line through the mark or place: Unless stated otherwise, a line parallel to the touchline.

M
Mark of touch: An imaginary line in the field of play at right angles to the touchline through
the place where the ball is thrown in. The mark of touch cannot be within five metres of a goal
line.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Mark of touch????

When did that become a thing?

I've never known the LoT to be called that!

Who writes this stuff?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

L
Line through the mark or place: Unless stated otherwise, a line parallel to the touchline.

M
Mark of touch: An imaginary line in the field of play at right angles to the touchline through
the place where the ball is thrown in. The mark of touch cannot be within five metres of a goal
line.

Thanks
Never thought to look under "M" for Lineout :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mark of touch????

Who writes this stuff?

for muggles "line of touch" was frequently confused with "touchline"

that's why they changed it. IMO think it was a good idea to change it.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mark of touch????

Who writes this stuff?

Clumsy. Why the detail could not be under the correct law is open to debate. AS we know the 2018 "simplification" turned out to be nothing of the kind.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Many thanks all.
I recall from my playing days (up to c.2000) lineouts occurring close to the Goal Line.

I spent some time searching LotG for details, including Definitions, but never looked under M for "Line of Touch" or "Lineout".
It would be helpful to include information about where a lineout can take place under the appropriate law section, specifically in the column titled "Location of the mark".

The 20016 LotG included a copy of definitions relevant to that Law at the front of the appropriate section so "Mark of Touch" would appear at the front of Law 18 and "Scrum Zone" would appear at the front of Law 19.

Simplification of the law book?!

:confused:

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have just checked the 2003 LotG and Law 19.7.(l) states: "The line of touch cannot be within five metres of a goal-line".

Anyone have an older copy?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

L

[/B]

This doesn’t make sense to me....
Line of touch.....Line through the mark or place......a line parallel to the touchline.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This doesn’t make sense to me....
Line of touch.....Line through the mark or place......a line parallel to the touchline.

I thought that.

But.

If you look at the definitions it makes sense. Marc has bolded the LoT bit and it looks like the stuff below is the definition but it isn't.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought that.

But.

If you look at the definitions it makes sense. Marc has bolded the LoT bit and it looks like the stuff below is the definition but it isn't.

I see it now...thanks.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have just checked the 2003 LotG and Law 19.7.(l) states: "The line of touch cannot be within five metres of a goal-line".

Anyone have an older copy?

I've got a copy of the 1996 Laws, can't see it mentioned in there.