Lineouts

RugbyDoc

Post Likes
Strange question this and I can't find it in the laws, but I ref'd a match and noticed team a put a particularly tall back in the line out . It felt odd but I can't think that there's anything wrong . By the way it's at u13 level so they're all different shapes and sizes

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You can have whoever you want in a line out. It's the numbers that matter, not who.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Im not 100% sure, maybe one of the other refs that deals with this age group on a regular basis maybe able to clarify better, if at that age group they are not able to lift then putting a "larger" than normal U13 into the lineout and aiming for him could be the plan of the coach in the hope of regaining LO ball.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Im not 100% sure, maybe one of the other refs that deals with this age group on a regular basis maybe able to clarify better, if at that age group they are not able to lift then putting a "larger" than normal U13 into the lineout and aiming for him could be the plan of the coach in the hope of regaining LO ball.

And how does that break the laws.......or regulations?

evilad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Whats stopping them putting 13 players in the Lineout? Nothing. Play on in my opinion

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Whats stopping them putting 13 players in the Lineout? Nothing. Play on in my opinion

or even 14. Might be a bit crowded, though

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
putting a "larger" than normal U13 into the lineout and aiming for him could be the plan of the coach in the hope of regaining LO ball.

You think ???? :)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
or even 14. Might be a bit crowded, though

14? [LAWS]Players taking part in the lineout known as participating players. Players taking part in the lineout are the player who throws-in and an immediate opponent, the two players waiting to receive the ball from the lineout and the lineout players.[/LAWS] doesn't this mean that 13 players in the lineout is the maximum?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
You don't have to have a receiver. Therefore you can have 14 in the lineout.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
And how does that break the laws.......or regulations?

Phil, it doesnt IMO, I was offering a view to the OP as to why they may choose to put said back into the line.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
You should watch some sevens Browner - hardly ever see a receiver for either team as they aren't required in law. (And there are no lineout variations in sevens - exactly the same laws as 15s).