Linesman flags

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There have been odd occasions when a flag in the hand of the untrained can be just as problematical as non at all - when they think they can flag for knock ons or forward passes -not so much now but when I was well covered in weeds.

yes, occasionally that happens.
But it's not a big problem, if it happens just have a quick word to explain.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not that it's going to bother me now so much but do advisors take any note of the provision of flags? And/or put the onus on the referee to provide any in lieu of the TJ not having his/her own?

I've never heard of it so I guess not but there's always one! :biggrin:

1. Serious comment - always try to supply or ensure the TJs have flags in every match you do. When running a To3 always have flags. They are a basic management requirement for effective communication and control. Flags are basic equipment like boots, short/shorts etc, none of which we pay for as a Society, but is up to the referee to purchase.

2. Less serious comment - I expect to watch Society Refs with flags (RFU, Society or their own), clean black boots (white laces optional Simon Smith), socks with tie ups, neatly pressed shirt tucked into neatly pressed shorts (no lycra visible), with an ACME Thunderer metal whistle. :biggrin:

3. Background comments - when I joined our Society in 2000 I was given a pair of green/yellow cloth flags (home made by a Committee member's wife), and told to go to B&Q to buy a broomstick and two plastic garden hoe handles. After using a saw and some super glue, I had a pair of flags - still got them !
When we had some sponsorship money one year, we bought TJ flags for all active referees - 100 refs and £10 a set of flags - you do the maths ! But not the £25 quality flags RFU use and London Society dished out some years ago.
Then for 8 seasons we had no sponsor, so we sold bought in bulk TJ flags via our Deeps' Society Haberdashery shop at a subsidised price.
Now we have a sponsor again, we have supplied our regular refs with special flags in their colours with company name, tel number and email on them.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A basic equipment purchase should be claimable as an expense via your referee society.

some say they shouldn't be expected to fund, & in the lead up to multi- million £ RWC this is even more relevant.

Some Societies do make basic kit (shirts, shorts, socks) available through sponsorship, but more Societies cannot afford to equip their members, so most basic equipment is paid for by the referee as part of his/her hobby (shirts, shorts, socks, boots, whistle, flags, etc). We cannot pay for kit out of the match fees which are already being pushed back on by clubs as it is.

Referee Societies get ZERO funding from the RFU direct (only via their CB and as part of the overall funding submission for precise projects such as Club referee recruitment & training.

Even at Panel and Group levels the 'stash' has dried up and only basic short/shorts, socks, tracksuit / waterproof, polo, and tie are supplied. The Panel guys used to get boots but that stopped a few seasons ago.

Certainly at Group level a whole tier of paid RFU dedicated staff was removed, insread volunteers used to cover the roles, and numbers of coaches/observers cut drastically to reduce travel expenses.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
My jaundiced experience is that organisations are always able to find resources if they deem it necessary.

I was offered a Beenie hat the other day, produced by the marketeers of "head case" .... ( the validity of the cause isn't debated )

Whilst referees are told they have no option but to self fund, they will ........ Im Surprised I don't have to carry my own post protectors in my car !! (Sarc)

Maybe we should resist buying our own and instead should ask clubs to wave a 6ft touch flag, the stupidity of the same would get the message across that need to provide their own equipment.

Don't burden vounteer refs financially gets my vote.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The WRU provides kit every year. Last year it was a very fetching pink. No flags though.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
they use tree branches in Tonga

PaulMacD

Post Likes
But if you want something better, then have a look here.

http://www.referee-equipment.co.uk/Catalogue/Flags/Touchline-Flags

I have a set of those for society team if three appointments, and a cheap ebay set for lending to clubs when I'm on my own (in case they don't come back!)

Hi Phil I know this is a very old post on the forum and I couldn't actually find the one about Touchline Flags you posted I wanted to reply to. I remember seeing a post where you said you had bought a lot of spares for the old rubber handled Touchline flags and these are what I have used for many years. Unfortunately, an assistant lost the red screw on top from one of them and I can't find spares anywhere but remembered seeing your post. If you still have any spares at all I would appreciate if you could sell me the necessary part? Paul

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A spare part for a touch flag ?

Sounds like a sky hook, or can of tartan paint :)