Location of a penalty kick

CliveG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Law 20 says "The mark for a penalty or free-kick must be in the field of play and be no closer than five metres from the goal line, as per the following table:" so why do I see referees in the professional game moving the mark to the 5m (from touch) line when a penalty is awarded for non set piece infringements ? Surely if there is a ruck offence 1 m from touch then the mark should be 1m from touch ? I even asked one of the refs at my society about this and he said the mark should be 5m from touch, but I can see support in the law book for this. Have I missed something obvious ?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
No you haven't missed anything!

If the legislators wanted to, they could easily change the term "Scrum Zone" into "Scrum and PK/FK Zone" (or something more catchy)

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Law 20 says "The mark for a penalty or free-kick must be in the field of play and be no closer than five metres from the goal line, as per the following table:" so why do I see referees in the professional game moving the mark to the 5m (from touch) line when a penalty is awarded for non set piece infringements ? Surely if there is a ruck offence 1 m from touch then the mark should be 1m from touch ? I even asked one of the refs at my society about this and he said the mark should be 5m from touch, but I can see support in the law book for this. Have I missed something obvious ?
Not missed anything. One of the myths.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You are correct.
There are quite a few instances where the mark is on the 15m line, but none where it is on the 5m (from touch) line, unless that's where the infringement occurred.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
2ndary question...

If the mark IS 1m from the touchline and the side awarded the PK opts for a scrum... where does the mark for the scrum get made? On the basis that if the hookers stand on the PK mark 1m from touch, two props, two flanks and potentially two locks (or two halves of two locks!) are actually in touch. And if the side putting have the loose head, the scrum half would have to stand in touch and put the ball in, in touch?

:D

(there is undoubtedly a law I CBA to find cos this would also be a case of a knock on 1m from touch ...)

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I did exactly that on an assessed game, moved the PK mark in to the 5 from touch. Think my head got mixed with scrum rule. Assessor was also unsure if this was correct, so we both searched and found nothing to say it was correct, so in short the PK should be from where the incident occurred

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Law 9 25 is probably the source of this myth.
I don't understand? Late charge on kicker taken at place of offence or where the ball landed, 15m in of near the touchline... No scenario involves coming 5m in from touch.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The principle of the kick ont being at the place of the ball landing if you then adda hazy recolectioon of other laws suddenly yly your movein the kick in field. No PK withing 5 of the Goal line jumble it all u pand the get to PKs 5 in from touch.