Lost coms with TMO - genuine mistake or home broadcaster influence?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So what we can see then from Phil's excellent post, is that a whole season's campaign for the premiership could be won and lost on whether a game in that campaign was a highlights game with eg 10 cameras, or a live game with 30, and thus a limit on the angles available to prove/deny one score and thus affect one result/BP

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Plus some of the Premiership Cup games have no cameras (other than one the home team uses for training and managed by the training ground staff), so no replays and no TMO. Sometimes no Timekeeper either.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
… it's not as simple as pushing a button, amongst the recordings they need to find one camera at a certain timeframe, queue it up for the TMO, then send it to his monitor.

But maybe it could be? There are enough sports that could invest into a system where all 30 or more feeds are synced up. Each feed has its own channel.

Thinking about some of the video editing panels I’ve seen, something similar could be used - essentially mimicking what the broadcaster currently does as they select which angle to broadcast.

Build it from the ground up to just enable the rapid review and selection of synchronized feeds, with each camera piped in on its own dedicated feed all stored on a large drive that can keep (ideally the full match) but at least several minutes. Could also be useful to keep all those angles for disciplinary proceedings later.

All the broadcaster does then is stream all the live feeds in, leaving the TMO and team to choose for themselves. Given the filthy lucre sloshing around the trough of some professional sports financial incentives for fast and accurate decisions, there should be both a way and the appetite to do this.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The NFL run their own central team that acts as the TMO for all games.
But they are operating on a different budget.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Saw the home town editing at play Clermont v Stormers.
Wayne Barnes was wise to it and insisted on better angles, and from the start.

What looked like a red card for a high tackle on the neck, and discussed as one between officials was downgraded to a yellow when (in WB words) player dips 30cm at the last moment.

It's blatant. I'm surprised European rugby has accepted it for so long.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thoughts on the Racing v Quins game yesterday?

I thought French TV played their part again with selective replays, though I have to admit a number of the officiating decisions left me utterly dumbfounded.

(Does this topic deserve it's own thread?)

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I thought French TV played their part again with selective replays, though I have to admit a number of the officiating decisions left me utterly dumbfounded.

Sort of related. In test cricket in Australia they bizarrely have more than one network with camera feeds at the ground. The 3rd umpire only gets one though.

Due to some hard to see either way grounded catches going to 3rd umpire with benefit of the batsmen they have resolved to get everything to the 3rd umpire in future. It puts the officials in a rock and a hard place situation that is totally avoidable.

My feeling is that this has to be an independent job for the authorities. To have a home network wielding such power, especially in the current climate of red card city, should not be an option for tier1 tests and the RWC as a minimum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

The TMO isn't limited to the replays shown on TV, they independently ask for their own replays.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sort of related. In test cricket in Australia they bizarrely have more than one network with camera feeds at the ground. The 3rd umpire only gets one though.

Due to some hard to see either way grounded catches going to 3rd umpire with benefit of the batsmen they have resolved to get everything to the 3rd umpire in future. It puts the officials in a rock and a hard place situation that is totally avoidable.

My feeling is that this has to be an independent job for the authorities. To have a home network wielding such power, especially in the current climate of red card city, should not be an option for tier1 tests and the RWC as a minimum.
The technology at the cricket was bad. I think they used the Fox feed, and even Fox commentators were pointing out the flaws in the angles - possibly because they were working against Australia, as opposed to on point of fairness.