Lots going on

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
From my game yesterday

70 mins gone, blue leading four tries to two, but red are on a roll and attacking, just outside blue 22
Blue offside at breakdown, I call advantage
Red get to about 7m from line, and blue tackler goes to ground on wrong side of the ball.
I call new advantage and am processing in my mind was this cynical and YC (get the number) or is he trapped (PK only) and then ...
. .. frustrated red 9 delivers a couple of kicks (not full force, but definitely kicks, not taps) to the blue back (which a lot of blue players see) ..

.. Loud whistle, separate teams etc ..

And then .. decision ?

Or better, what is your thought process here ?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me yellow to blue player, and red to red 9, deal with red 1st as more serious and showing you have seen it to ease tension on foul play, explaining to captain then deal with cynical killing ball in red zone

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Disagree, before all else you were only contemplating yellow, but you had seen and communicated as such that there was an offence by blue, yours only to deal with.

Red for red, under no circumstances can they take matters into their own hands, then restart communicating the intitial penalty, then the reversal for serious foul Play to get your point across

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There's probably no argument with red for red.

It's the other one that's interesting. If I was 50/50 on the YC to Blue then the FP happened, I'd be inclined to YC the Blue player

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
For me yellow to blue player, and red to red 9, deal with red 1st as more serious and showing you have seen it to ease tension on foul play, explaining to captain then deal with cynical killing ball in red zone
Generally agree with this.
I do wonder if advantage was genuinely there? Sometimes a quick whistle is the better option.

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I'd be sorely tempted to go with Red card, Yellow card, penalty try and an exciting last ten minutes. Good job I'm not a referee. :)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I think your gut tells you if red 9 deserves a red card or yellow... he has kicked a player, but your wording softens the incident. Also hard to say on yellow card to blue, but sounds reasonable. I feel more confident in saying the foul play by red vs technical infringements by blue mean that play should be restarted with a penalty kick for blue - have I got this right?

@crossref , so what was your decision at the time?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think your gut tells you if red 9 deserves a red card or yellow... he has kicked a player, but your wording softens the incident. Also hard to say on yellow card to blue, but sounds reasonable. I feel more confident in saying the foul play by red vs technical infringements by blue mean that play should be restarted with a penalty kick for blue - have I got this right?

I agree with you on all counts.