Love kids who know their laws

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Did my first game of the season on Saturday - 16A schoolboys trial game between two schools not greatly renowned for their rugby.

One team kicked off to start a half (well a third actually as that was the format of the trial), kick went into in-goal where it was fielded and dabbed down. Scrum back.

As we are getting set for the scrum, kicking team hooker looks at me and says
-"Is that one of the new laws sir?"
- "No, been around for a long time"
- Receiving team hooker "Wow I never heard of it".
- Kicking team hooker "that's why we aren't fullbacks"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The cleverest school boy I ever reffed : ran back chasing an opponents kick, that reached his own in-goal, gathered the loose ball, and continued to run right over the DBL, and without stopping curved round and took the 22m drop out, hoofing it up the field and chasing it.
15 very surprised opponents caught completely off guard..

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Conversely adults who don't the laws - a bit.

On Saturday I had a Re-start from 1/2 way that a player waited an age for the ball to limp its way over the DBL rather than just dabbing it down etc.

He was obviously looking for the scrum re-start on 1/2 way but made life harder for himself than it need to be. Plus it would've save me running all that way just to go back :mad:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
...and the classic one on that: The defender picks up the ball in the in goal, tries to be clever and holds it in his arms for a few seconds, trying to make the attackers tire out as they have to run all the way to him.... then he dots down. "22" I say. "But Sir, that was a kick off! Can we not have a scrum half-way ?".
I'll leave it as an excercise for you to guess what I replied to that ! :)

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
...and the classic one on that: The defender picks up the ball in the in goal, tries to be clever and holds it in his arms for a few seconds, trying to make the attackers tire out as they have to run all the way to him.... then he dots down. "22" I say. "But Sir, that was a kick off! Can we not have a scrum half-way ?".

We were discussing the merits (or not) of swearing at players on another thread last week.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

"Don't beggar around then" ?