Mark - @Clean Catch

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I don't think I would have awarded the FK to Laidlaw (blue) if I were Craig Joubert (pah!).

Sorry to hi-jack but I thought I would take the opportunity to say I thought Hogg played well in a beaten team.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Form th definition "Mark must be a clean catch direct from an opponent's kick."

Direct usually means nobody else has touched it.

So you're assuming what direct means.

Direct, for me means not having touched a player or the ground before the catcher did. a simultaneous catch would qualify as the other player did not touch it before.

We assume different things. That's why we need the law to make the call.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Mmmm. :chin: To me "clean" just means he didn't fumble it.

As "clean" isn't defined in the lawbook, I suppose it will mean different things to different referees.

I could never accept that a 'shared/simultaneous catch' was a clean catch. IMO the purpose of the 'Mark' law is to protect the catcher from being lined up & smashed whilst he's awaiting the ball to arrive from the sky. Catchers have "in the air" protection from being tackled so therefore all my fair play says that whenever/If an opponent isn't trying to 'level you' [by instead jumping to try & gain possession] you no longer need the 'Mark law' ....... & because you still get it then I'm expecting to see you CLEARLY get SOLE possession after the jump [& gather] before you get unnecessary Mark protection form me.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
IMO the purpose of the 'Mark' law is to protect the catcher from being lined up & smashed whilst he's awaiting the ball to arrive from the sky.
Since we have a law against tackling a player in the air, the Mark is not needed to provide that protection.

It could be ruled either way, and we have little or nothing to go on for a definitive answer.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Since we have a law against tackling a player in the air, the Mark is not needed to provide that protection.

It could be ruled either way, and we have little or nothing to go on for a definitive answer.

I was under the impression that only relatively recently could a mark be taken whilst in the air, as opposed to ... marking it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Inspired by CJ, I called one of these in a recent L9 match, got a collective :holysheep:from both sets of players and all spectators ... Thanks C !