Mark. Clean catch

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just reading law 17 and I can't find the words 'clean catch' anywhere in the text have we changed the laws or was there no longer a requirement for the catch to be clean. For example a player who attempts to catch it but ends up knocking it forward then catching it on the second attempt is not a clean catch therefore we can or cannot order Mark?
Ta.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"directly catching an opponent’s kick" (Definitions) and "directly from an opponent’s kick" (Law 17) for me means a 'clean catch'. Do you have a TV example otherwise?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"directly catching an opponent’s kick" (Definitions) and "directly from an opponent’s kick" (Law 17) for me means a 'clean catch'.
that's not really in line with the definition:

Directly caught:
A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have to agree with you, but the 'simplified' Laws then say it twice in 17.1b.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it no longer says clean catch in the laws I’m allowing a juggle.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I remembered seeing a mark being disallowed in Premiership last few months and referee explaining to player (who had thought his catching it was enough ) that it has to be a 'clean catch '.
But just checking if, and where in laws I can point to , to backup this interpretation.
Seems vague to me now.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Given the laws as written, I'll now allow a juggle +catch and feel confident to support my decision in the bar after the game.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I’m with the jugglers on this one. The definition of “Directly caught” is
A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground.
No mention of not bouncing around in the air, so as long as they get it under control before they yell “mark” I’m good. If it’s up in the air or bouncing hand to hand, you are still fair game - not caught in my book.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does the player have to make the free kick arm signal too? It seems to be de rigueur these days :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I cant see it was ever a requirement ? Suspect its done as a visual clue to the ref who may not hear a call in a noisy/windy stadium/pitch. And because its done at the top levels there WILL be SOME refs out there who now THINK its necessary in order to award a mark, so grassroots players do it "just in case". (Of course those players may also THINK its needed too!)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IME
I would say most markers call "Mark" and do the bent arm.
Some just the bent arm only.
Fewer shout "mark" only.
No one shouts mark and slams their heel into the turf and then collapses clutching their shattered posterior cruciate ligament. :rolleyes:

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I think the arm signal from the player crept in due to the ability (or lack thereof) of the ref to hear the call.

Either due to the crowd noise, or rather at my level, the long distance between the ref and the catcher!