Mark from a fly hack?

nicfloyd

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've read law 17 but does a mark have to be from a kick out of hand? If a ball is fly hacked off the ground and travels into the 22, can it be marked?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can'tthink of any reason not to award it if all other criteria are met.

nicfloyd

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So someone kicking a ball in that fashion satisfies 'directly catching an opponents kick'? A grubber kick into the ground doesn't satisfy it so a ball already on the ground - what's the difference?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So someone kicking a ball in that fashion satisfies 'directly catching an opponents kick'? A grubber kick into the ground doesn't satisfy it so a ball already on the ground - what's the difference?
Not quite, as I read it. The definition has:
Directly caught: A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground.​

So, if toed off the ground and into the 22 but doesn’t touch anyone or the ground, a mark is possible. A grubber would invalidate the option to call mark and the first bounce.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A kick is a kick. You can call a mark from a PK (at the posts or otherwise). Although when I was coaching my lad's U14 side a referee we said you couldn't.

I wonder what he's doing now?? ;)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I would argue that for both a fly hack and a drop kick, the ball leaves the ground first and then leaves the kicking foot last, therefore the ball can be caught directly from an opponent's kick; whereas a grubber clearly makes contact with the ground between the kicker and the catcher.

A kick is a kick. You can call a mark from a PK (at the posts or otherwise). Although when I was coaching my lad's U14 side a referee we said you couldn't.

I wonder what he's doing now?? ;)
Maybe he got confused with not being able to call a mark from a kick-off or restart after a score?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would argue that for both a fly hack and a drop kick, the ball leaves the ground first and then leaves the kicking foot last, therefore the ball can be caught directly from an opponent's kick; whereas a grubber clearly makes contact with the ground between the kicker and the catcher.

Maybe he got confused with not being able to call a mark from a kick-off or restart after a score?
How diplomatic Stu 10. That's just what our fullback (who caught the ball and squealed "mark") thought as the referee allowed him to get twatted! I felt somewhat culpable as I was the one who told the boys, arranging themselves under/behind the posts, to catch it if it fell short (as I guessed - correctly - it would) and call mark. We were winning and it would allow us to clear our lines under a bit less pressure (depending who caught it! :) )

I should've just shut up and let them play - a little knowledge and all that. Still, a little bit more than the referee eh?. :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyway - at age group level - a referee shouldn't let a player who genuinely thinks he has a mark then get unexpectedly twatted --- it's dangerous.