[Law] Mark from a penalty

Joe@trfc

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I was wondering if the defending team can call a Mark if the attacking teams kick was from a penalty.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The only time you can't call a mark is from a kick off (start of first and second half) or from a restart after a score.

So you CAN call a Mark from a Penalty Kick, Free Kick, or a 22 Drop Out.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As Phil says....

I have had this scenario...I awarded the mark to the usual howls from the stand.

Wasn't a bit sure if it was a correct call and checked it out after the game.

Joe@trfc

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Thanks guys, I just wanted to be sure!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had it as well.
It's one of those things that happen rarely and when they do you pause and consult your inner Law Book :)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The only time you can't call a mark is from a kick off (start of first and second half) or from a restart after a score.
So you CAN call a Mark from a Penalty Kick, Free Kick, or a 22 Drop Out.
A variation on Phil's wording, but I find the easiest way to remember it is

You can call a Mark from ANY opponents kick apart from a Kick Off or a re-start at the centre.

You'd be surprised how many coaches, players etc don't know this.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"If they have to kick. A mark you cannot pick."

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You dont have to kick PKs etc you can tap and and pass etc. You have to kick the others at least 10 metres. Sorry I thought the inference was there. It made it clear to me when I was told it.

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So a mark can be awarded/called from a attempted drop goal that goes short...? What about an attempt DG that bounces off posts and is caught cleanly by non kicking team?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You dont have to kick PKs etc you can tap and and pass etc. You have to kick the others at least 10 metres. Sorry I thought the inference was there. It made it clear to me when I was told it.

a bit like the mnemonic I before E...
...except in a zeitgeist of feisty counterfeit heifer protein freight heists reining in weird deified beige beings and their veiny and eidetic atheist foreign schlockmeister neighbors, either aweigh with feigned absenteeism, seized by heightened heirloom forfeitures (albeit deigned under a kaleidoscope ceiling weighted by seismic geisha keister sleighs) or leisurely reimbursing sovereign receipt or surveillance of eight veiled and neighing Rottweilers, herein referred to as their caffeinated sheik's Weimaraner poltergeist wieners from the Pleiades.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
...except in a zeitgeist of feisty counterfeit heifer protein freight heists reining in weird deified beige beings and their veiny and eidetic atheist foreign schlockmeister neighbors, either aweigh with feigned absenteeism, seized by heightened heirloom forfeitures (albeit deigned under a kaleidoscope ceiling weighted by seismic geisha keister sleighs) or leisurely reimbursing sovereign receipt or surveillance of eight veiled and neighing Rottweilers, herein referred to as their caffeinated sheik's Weimaraner poltergeist wieners from the Pleiades.

Nothing like it really.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nothing like it really.

yes it is. You're using a mnemonic that has exceptions. All well & good if it helps you, but I wouldn't be selling it as a panacea.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The full mnemonic I learned was "When the sound is 'ee', I before E except after C."

That knocks out most (but not all) of your counter-examples.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
A little unhelpful to draw parallels between the LoTG and language learning mnemonics.

There are no hard and fast rules to English grammar, but rather useful guidelines we traditionally teach students to help them decide for themselves what they’d like to say and how they’d like to say it. The Laws of Rugby Union are not entirely like that. By which, I mean if we left it up to the players which Laws they would like to apply to the game it’d be absolute anarchy.

Grammar police, MUST read this article before replying.
When I tried to suggest that her students could be just as polite saying, ‘Can you help me? I want to …,’ she looked at me incredulously, finding it hard to believe that a ‘Can you …’ phrase would be as polite as a ‘I was wondering if you could …’ phrase …

After all, that’s not what the coursebooks say!

I find myself being reminded of the story of Pygmalion, the sculptor who carved a woman out of ivory, and then fell in love with it.

Like Pygmalion, we created something that worked for us … and we’ve fallen in love with it. We made the description of language simple so that more of us could understand it. But now, that description has now become the rule and we find ourselves fervently correcting others’ ‘mistakes’ and applying the rules as if they were there from the beginning.

Are we inherently perpetuating our own myths about language?
Extract for those who won’t.

We all have stuff that works for us, but the Law book is still the primary source for learners.
We all make mistakes, both on the field of play and off (at the bar afterwards.)

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yes it is. You're using a mnemonic that has exceptions. All well & good if it helps you, but I wouldn't be selling it as a panacea.

Where are the exceptions. A Kick off or a restart must be kicked in the direction of the other side over a distance of at least 10 metres. The others can be "tapped". Very different animals. I'm sure you can see the difference.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Where are the exceptions. A Kick off or a restart must be kicked in the direction of the other side over a distance of at least 10 metres. The others can be "tapped". Very different animals. I'm sure you can see the difference.

You would accept a 'tap' for a 22 Drop Out?

Not under my definition.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

here's a new improved version for you:

"If it must go 10, either drop kick or punt,
If you award a mark, then you are a ... poor referee."

Of course, you're forgetting that a 22 drop out must go at least 10 metres before it can and may be successfully marked.