Marler Two Week Ban

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I note the puff piece in the Irish Times today all about his struggles with mental health:
https://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle...ally_feeling_comfortable_in_his_skin-2954410/

Its timing seems somewhat convenient for mine.
What is a “puff” piece?

Convenient seems an odd word to use. Newsworthy, relevant or topical would seem more accurate. It’s clearly an old article that has re-surfaced because it is newsworthy, relevant and topical at the moment.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Good piece in Rugby Pass about how this judgement throws refs under a bus

In turn, this requires officials across the land to actually pay some attention to the kind of verbal diarrhoea squabbling rugby players routinely spout and then make a decision on what is and isn’t acceptable.

Which is what we do every day in grass roots rugby. We uphold the core values and TREDS.

The only people who ignore it, and therefore might have to actually catch the bus, are at the top level. Just add this to the list of other things they routinely turn a blind eye to: not straights at scrums and lineouts, everyone diving off their feet at the breakdown, etc.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which is what we do every day in grass roots rugby. We uphold the core values and TREDS.

The only people who ignore it, and therefore might have to actually catch the bus, are at the top level. Just add this to the list of other things they routinely turn a blind eye to: not straights at scrums and lineouts, everyone diving off their feet at the breakdown, etc.
if you had heard that exact insult last week would you have given a RC?
if you hear it next week will you give it a RC?

does it make a difference whether or not it provokes a reaction?

I can't imagine JM would have been charged with anything had there been no reaction. It would have been ignored, as it was on the pitch.

It's different from, say, racist abuse which (surely) a ref would never ignore, and would earn a RC regardless of whether there was any reaction or not.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I can't imagine JM would have been charged with anything had there been no reaction. It would have been ignored, as it was on the pitch.

It's different from, say, racist abuse which (surely) a ref would never ignore, and would earn a RC regardless of whether there was any reaction or not.

No I would not have issued a red card, but I would have made sure the player knew that if he repeated it, then I would be going through the escalation process. It should never be ignored. You get assessed on your adherence to core values, so it is clearly an area that requires the referee to do something.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No I would have not issued a red card, but I would have sure the player knew that if he repeated it, then In would be going through the escalation process. It should never be ignored. You get assessed on your adherence to core values, so it is clearly an area that requires the referee to do something.
last week I would say the same. Next week : knowing now that the insult merits a SIX-WEEK ban, I would feel a lot of pressure to RC.
I wonder what the players would expect.

creates pressure to simply pretend to not hear it, rather than hearing it, and explaining why it's not RC.

Last edited:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What is a “puff” piece?

Convenient seems an odd word to use. Newsworthy, relevant or topical would seem more accurate. It’s clearly an old article that has re-surfaced because it is newsworthy, relevant and topical at the moment.
Puff pieces are bits of soft journalism to distract from negative events that are happening around the subject.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Would I routinely have given a red? No. There are specified slurs that geta red card.

Would I have routinely given a yellow? I go back and forth on this. Right now a very pointed "one more word from you and you're going for a walk" would be my preferred path.

For all the rpoblems we have in Alice, the shithousery doesn't tend to devolve to this.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Right now a very pointed "one more word from you and you're going for a walk" would be my preferred path.
If I have a criticism of Karl it's that that conversation should have already happened with JM prior to the incident

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Puff pieces are bits of soft journalism to distract from negative events that are happening around the subject.
Thanks, I didn’t know that.

You think an Irish newspaper is trying to distract from what? That JM has got in trouble again?

That would be quite a story in itself 😄

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Are there two separate problems here?
1 There is no place for that kind of comment on a Rugby pitch. We expect players to show respect, to the Ref and other players.
2 Mental health. In a normal say customer facing job, would this be acceptable? No. So what happens here? Sick leave possibly?
So maybe if we dealt with each problem separately it would be easier. But its never gonna be easy.