Match Payments

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've heard some rumours that 'they' are considering introducing a payment for referees a la football (who can expect a minimum of £20-25 for junior games). Not sure how much truth/likelihood is behind this?

Apparently rumour going around here is that ARU are considering a national match officials payment system....but it's early days so no details as to what it will be. It appears they're finally switching the effin light bulb one to figure out they need to do something.

A-side U19, $90.
B-side U19, $55.

Travel, 40c/mile. Closest is ~60-90mi, furthest ~200 each way.

Kit purchases are either out-of-pocket or subsidized by society, then taken out of reimbursement.

A perfect system IMO that can be easily implemented to seniors too and funded by the players. You're typically talking about 40 players per game, so thats about on average $2 a player per game. If the can't afford that then they should give up that 1/2 a pint after the game!

Do you ever get any backlash from players that they have to pay you?

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Apparently rumour going around here is that ARU are considering a national match officials payment system....but it's early days so no details as to what it will be. It appears they're finally switching the effin light bulb one to figure out they need to do something.

A perfect system IMO that can be easily implemented to seniors too and funded by the players. You're typically talking about 40 players per game, so thats about on average $2 a player per game. If the can't afford that then they should give up that 1/2 a pint after the game!

Do you ever get any backlash from players that they have to pay you?

I should have clarified - that is what the clubs are billed, not necessarily what refs are paid.

The way it works in my union is that the society treasurer bills the clubs at the end of the season, and the referees are paid by the society. Those who are delinquent with payments have to pay higher rates the following season, while those naughties who do not pay simply are not assigned referees.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Even better...those that don't want to chase it up can effectively donate it to the association! Wins all round! IMO.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I think we get $20 per junior game, $35 for U19, 3rd garde and 2nd grade seniors and $50 for 1st grade seniors but no travel allowance unless on Country Panel duty. Out of those fees the 1st grade refs lose $10, and all other refs $5 per game which goes into our referee's development fund unless you are a student ref or AR in which case you pay nothing to that fund from your match payments. ARs get $10 a game. Student refs pay $5 per year Association fees and all other referees have 2 match payments deducted as their Association fees. All match fees are paid in one cheque at the end of the season.
So for example #1: If you are a 1st grade ref who does 15 1st grade games, 7 lower grade games, AR for say 12 games and do 6 junior games in a season, you would get
15 x 50 (-15 x 10 RDF) + 7 x 35 (-7 x 5 RDF) + 12 x 10 (AR) + 6 x 20 (-6 x 5 RDF) - 2 x 50 (Assoc. fees) = 1235 - 315 = $920 for the season.

Example #2: If you are a below 1st grade ref who does 22 lower grade games, AR for say 12 games and do 6 junior games in a season, you would get
22 x 35 (-22 x 5 RDF) + 12 x 10 (AR) + 6 x 20 (-6 x 5 RDF) - 2 x 35 (Assoc. fees) = 1010 - 210 = $800 for the season.

Example #3: If you only do junior games and AR for seniors and do say 30 junior games and AR for say 20 senior games in a season, you would get
30 x 20 (-30 x 5 RDF) + 20 x 10 (AR) - 2 x 20 (Assoc. fees) = 800 - 190 = $610 for the season.

Example #4: If you are a student and only do junior games and do say 20 junior games in a season, you would get
20 x 20 - 5 (Assoc. fees) = 400 - 5 = $395 for the season.

Referee shirt, shorts and socks are provided by the association.

Obviously there is, because of the lower fees, an incentive for young referees to join up. The older blokes do it because they enjoy it and the end of year cheque is just like a xmas bonus to shout yourself some new boots, bag, whistle etc.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The older blokes do it because they enjoy it and the end of year cheque is just like a xmas bonus to shout yourself some new boots, bag, whistle etc.

Thanks Fat

Exactly the basis in which I'm trying to introduce it here. Nothing more really.

In my case it will act as 'hush' money for the missus (to buy a new frock and clogs!)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks Fat

Exactly the basis in which I'm trying to introduce it here. Nothing more really.

In my case it will act as 'hush' money for the missus (to buy a new frock and clogs!)

It's used as incentive to turn up for a BBQ and free beer at the AGM because that's when they hand the cheques out.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just found out that the TRU are considering paying us this year, but they did say that a couple of years running.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
We get $25 a game from Under 10 to Under 18 paid by the society at years end. No payment for finals or representative "honour" games. There is the option to donate fees back to the society or to a club of your choice. Clubs actually get billed $15 each per game, with the $5 difference helping cover society costs.

2 match payments are withheld from us to cover part cost of the annual dinner and monthly meetings (which have pizza and beer provided)

All gear is provided.

Junior refs (under 8 & 9 games) usually get $10 a game paid by the host club.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
QUOTE=pwhaling;259244]In New York I get $75 per game regardless of the level (high school up to mens division 1) and travel after 150 miles.[/QUOTE]

And nearly unlimited beer for men's matches, no beer at high school, and very rarely a pint at college games:drool:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
No expenses for league where I am but travel is usually very minimal.

U6-11s: $20, 12s: $25, 13-14s: $35, 15-16s: $45, 17-18s: $60.

I thought I wasn't paid enough but now I'm re-evaluating that thought!

That's because you're No. 1/2 sport on the East coast (fighting with AFL), so payments are higher.

In New York I get $75 per game regardless of the level (high school up to mens division 1) and travel after 150 miles.

That's massive!

It's used as incentive to turn up for a BBQ and free beer at the AGM because that's when they hand the cheques out.

Cheques!!!!!! Has no one taught your tresurer about online banking and electronic funds transfer? I had all our refs (bar one because of wrong details) paid by end of September this year.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cheques!!!!!! Has no one taught your tresurer about online banking and electronic funds transfer? I had all our refs (bar one because of wrong details) paid by end of September this year.

True...but then there would be no need to turn up to AGM! It's not a bad little carrot really if you want your payment sooner (paid to go drink free beer). I like it! (Administratively EFT still easier for all!)

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just found out that the TRU are considering paying us this year, but they did say that a couple of years running.

Sh!t, if small union Taswedgians can do it then every union could do it!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thirteen years ago when I refereed state league soccer in South Aust I was getting $130 for reserve grade and then $65 for running touch in first grade.

Makes me laugh when I look at what I get now.

As ref coaches we also get $25 for each coaching report we write

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Thirteen years ago when I refereed state league soccer in South Aust I was getting $130 for reserve grade and then $65 for running touch in first grade.

But most of that would be classed a danger money wouldn't it?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We get $30 for metropolitan games, $50 for country however $80 if the journey is more than 3 hours each way.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
True...but then there would be no need to turn up to AGM! It's not a bad little carrot really if you want your payment sooner (paid to go drink free beer). I like it! (Administratively EFT still easier for all!)

Going to EFT next year. Will be interesting to see if we get enough members to next year's AGM to fill committee positions.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hearing how many of you don't get paid or get paid poorly pisses me off. Chuck $1 onto the player's weekly match fee, and there's $30+ per game.

Instead a lot of you are being taken for granted. If you all didn't turn up for a weekend, I bet they'd start a payment system pretty ****ing fast.

I understand we don't usually referee for the purpose of money, but that's no reason we should be taken for granted either.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hearing how many of you don't get paid or get paid poorly pisses me off. Chuck $1 onto the player's weekly match fee, and there's $30+ per game.

Instead a lot of you are being taken for granted. If you all didn't turn up for a weekend, I bet they'd start a payment system pretty ****ing fast.

I understand we don't usually referee for the purpose of money, but that's no reason we should be taken for granted either.

What a jaundiced view?

The players pay to play and have fun.
I don't pay but still have fun and get reimbursed for my petrol, a couple of beers, some food and some good banter.

I am not being taken for granted, I am helping the players and the sport.