Match Payments

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Unfortunately here its no pay no refs, esp in the future. My soc has around 200 members. Of this there is I believe only 1 in the 25 to 35 age bracket. As all the older guys who started in the amateur days start hanging up the boots the only way to replace them is with pay. When you are the number 3 or 4 sport and you require more travelling than the others their isn't much option. Even my boy who loves reffing and rugby and has never played league hears what his mates are getting reffibg league and is having evil thoughts. Luckily our tax office has a much more decent view of hobby income.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I pay £15 a year to be a member of my society, I'm also a member of my club £50 I think!!
I have to pay for all my own kit, very occasionally subsidised if we get a sponsor.
If I attend a monthly meeting it is 70 miles away and I don't get petrol money for that.
I tghink our clubs are charged £50 a year per Adult team for appointed refs though some may demand a refund as lower teams often do not get a ref.
We do not appoint to any youth games as most of us are too old and don't want to do it. I will do one sunday a month at my own club.
As for club referees we have very few and many lower level games are reffed by old players who have never been near an ELRA course. The society is trying hard to recruit but it is difficult.
The other reality which people forget is when you are a player every other week ypou are at home. As a ref you rarely do your own town so it takes a hell of a lot more time than when you played.

BTW I still love it!!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Browner - Sorry but you are talking out of your ar*se !

I have run a Society of 100+ referees for 7 seasons and we had to balance a budget of £45,000-£55,000 over that time, 85% of which is cost of travel claimed offset against match fees charged (at £30). We get no money from RFU and no money from CB. Any sponsorship money we have to get ourselves and we use that for special extras like Young Officials, Recruitment, Training Equipment, etc - not on Stash.

We are totally aligned with the modern world in terms of the training and development techniques we apply, the technology we use, and cost saving measures applied. We recognise the volunteer nature of our members, and our own admin time given freely.

Once you start charging clubs for referees, you change the whole dynamic, expectations, service delivery, etc - just look at what has happened at Panel and especially Elite where PRL especially with GASH's review process is a commercial relationship. In making that change you bring in more admin and management tasks and so you need at least one paid Society administrator perhaps.

We discussed this topic at the summer's Lensubury Society Leaders Conference and most were against paid referees below Level 4.

Simon, I think that was a little unfair on Browner and wasn't really necessary. He has a point this time and his perceptions aren't necessarily untrue.

It's not an easy situation to deal with because of the million factors, and everyone has has a good points regarding the pros and cons of paying referees. I would hazard a guess to suggest that a majority here are more than happy to give up their time, but would just like to be reimbursed for a proportion of their out of pockets costs, so that they can keep affording and justify continuing to give up their time to referee. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the costs without accounting for time, is significant, and just getting 50% of it reimbursed would help. I have been a team coach, team manager, a club secretary, u19 referee appointments and grading coordinator, and referee, and I can tell you that the costs out of my wallet is far more as a referee than any other involvement I've had with rugby.

So far travel is partially reimbursed, but IMO it needs to go further, is all that is being suggested. It's a user pays world now, so I think it's a reality that it needs to happen if rugby is to stay relevant and it's a little naive to think otherwise (especially on this island). So it's not such a stupid idea that those those don't want to collect can pass it on to their society, but those that want it to shouldn't really be denied.

Just as an aside, your club funding is huge (probably equivalent to about A$100k) , although travel in our association if centrally paid by the union, (about $20k i think) our association of 50 senior referees and 100 junior referees for everything else has to operate on less than $10k pa. When 50% is spent on valuable referee training alone, it doesn't leave much for anything else such as exchanges and other development!

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon, I think that was a little unfair on Browner and wasn't really necessary.
Browner and Simon Thomas are both in England (though Browner is coy about quite where he is). Not all societies are equal even so, but we are not in the same difficult situation as you are. This is not a case of one size fits all, but I would expect Browner's Society/CB to be closer to ST's situation than to yours.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
More the term was unfair...rather than the sentiment.....IMO.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
On the tax issue, my dad (who is a tax accountant) told me that our tax office had worked out that if they made income from "hobbies" such as refereeing, baby sitting, market stalls for handicrafts etc declarable as income they would actually lose money - as people would have deductions and rebates greater than their level of income so would have a tax loss to offset against their pay-as-you-go income

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Provided my exams go well next week and I am successful in my application in early January I will be resident there for at least 7 weeks of June and July 2014.

Don't bother bringing summer clothes, it'll be cold (probably mild to you) and quite wet at times.

Do bring stud & moulded boots, though studs only really needed at stadium games (which in 7 weeks, you probably won't get).

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
We get paid roughly on this scale

$40 for junior games (18 or younger)
$50 for 2nds or lower division Senior Men's and Women's
$60 for 1st side Men's and Women's ($25 if you AR one of these games)
Travel is based on a flat rate between certain distances over 80km

7's tournaments are roughly $15/game

We also typically get 1 or 2 coaching reports a year with a video of our game

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
In Switzerland we get:

Between 100CHF and 30CHF per game (approx 85Eur/70GBP to 25Euro/20GBP) (Top level down to schools). Half that if we are appointed as TJ. Paid direct from the clubs.

PLUS

We get 0.50CHF per KM each way from home to ground (by road, not as the crows flies) (about 55p/mile or 0.40euro/km) paid by the federation

It works out as a lot of money each season. We need to buy some of our kit, which gets taken out of our expenses. People say we need to pay to get refs - but we are still short. And think most would do it for less.

There has to be a better way to entice people into taking up the whistle.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Leaving them short changed in the pocket isn't one!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Menace - my issue is more: I can go to a game, and get 350CHF travel expenses, having spent about 100CHF travelling first class on the train...... Plus I get my match fee.

But my comment isn't about being short changed, it is about - is payment to right way to motivate people to pick up the whistle? I'm not so sure, but can't think of many other ways.....

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree...(sorry i was being a little flippant..no pun intended) I'm not about 'making profit' either, just covering costs, and I think it is partially an incentive to attract them but more of incentive to retain referees....but to start refereeing you really have to want to do it. If you don want to do it, I suspect the money isn't an attraction at all (except maybe kids for pocket money...but not adults). In fact I would say there is nothing material that is a recruitment tool. I think eliminating abuse would be a good start. Many see the hard time refs get and just don't want to put themselves in front of it voluntarily.

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
My thoughts on this is - is getting people to try it the biggest hurdle?

Is it better (given a limited supply of refs) to cover top level games with TO3s, and leave the lower levers uncovered, forcing the clubs to get someone to do it, in the hope that some of those will take it up "full time", or is it better to spread your refs out and try to cover as many games as possible?

We also have a "fines" system - each TEAM has to supply at least 1 ref, or they get a 1,500CHF fine. But most clubs just budget for the fines, so ti doesn't really work. Point deductions might though. But again - this means people will be "forced" into reffing, and they aren't necessarily the right people for it.

Answers on a postcard....

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
From what I have seen, even with the decent pay league refs get in my area, if someone doesn't enjoy doing it, they give it up within the first year. I'm sure this is no surprise!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As a few of you know, I also do regional Premier League and club netball umpiring and we get paid a flat rate regardless of the matches grade. As an unbadged (ie unqualified) umpire, your club (as we associate with a club rather than a ref society) will pay you $12-15 per match, once badged, the local netball association pays you an additional $12 per match, meaning a weeks worth of games (1 Wed, 1 Thurs and 2 Sats - 5 hours total court time) pays me around $100. Even social netball pays $30 for two very low grade matches. Once I take fuel out I'm probably being paid less than $10 a match and frankly from a financial point of view I'd be better off stacking shelves at the super market

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
As a few of you know, I also do regional Premier League and club netball umpiring and we get paid a flat rate regardless of the matches grade. As an unbadged (ie unqualified) umpire, your club (as we associate with a club rather than a ref society) will pay you $12-15 per match, once badged, the local netball association pays you an additional $12 per match, meaning a weeks worth of games (1 Wed, 1 Thurs and 2 Sats - 5 hours total court time) pays me around $100. Even social netball pays $30 for two very low grade matches. Once I take fuel out I'm probably being paid less than $10 a match and frankly from a financial point of view I'd be better off stacking shelves at the super market

So do you umpire because you enjoy it or do you do it as an income stream?

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I referee because I enjoy it. It's a hobby. So I'm not looking to make moey, or even break een doing it. I do it like others may sing, fish, golf, collect stamps etc. But travelling expenses are always welcome!

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
It's clear: I'm moving to either the USA, Canada or Switzerland ;-)

But on a serious note, a move to the New York area (Long Island) may be on the cards and of course I will bring my kit!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I referee because I enjoy it. It's a hobby. So I'm not looking to make moey, or even break een doing it. I do it like others may sing, fish, golf, collect stamps etc. But travelling expenses are always welcome!

Especially when you have to justify your hobby to your 'Minister of Time and Finance'!:deadhorse: