Matt Carley

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Find myself agreeing with IC on several points ! - especially about SH manoeuvering the ball and the enforcement of offside lines. 'Back foot' is a clear instruction to give and expect to be observed but in all the autumn internationals this weekend encroachment was allowed. it suffocates attacking play.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This inevitably means the SH will manoeuvre the ball with hands, feet or otherwise into the best position.

Re 3, I think the YC was after a string of penalties and advantages and was blatantly playing the 9 when he didn't have the ball, but I agree with you that I think letting the 9 pull the ball out, put it down and still expect protection should be ruled out of the game. Neither the Scotland 9 nor the NZ 9 were/are particularly noted for this and neither side yesterday was ever really interested in slowing the game down once the ball was there to be played.

I do agree that some SHs do take the proverbial and use their feet to pull a ball too far towards themselves and thus out of the ruck!

I don't have any problem with the SH manoeuvring the ball back with his feet, after all, according to the Laws players are supposed to use their feet and not their hands in the ruck. I also have no problem with the SH digging for the ball, but when its laying there waiting to be picked up, they should leave it alone until they are going to pick it up.

Some might argue hands/feet, what is the difference? Well the difference is simple and important. If the SH uses his feet, the opposing defenders know that he is positioning the ball and is not about to pick it up. However, when the SH puts his hands on the ball, those defenders should have every right to expect that the next thing he will do is to lift the ball. If the SH moves his hands and leaves the ball at the last moment, defenders could react to the movement. I could make a good argument that a SH doing so is infringing a Law that says "A player must not take any action to make the opposing team think that the ball is out..." at any phase of play: Ruck - Law 16.2 (c), Maul - Law 17.3 (b) and scrum - Law 20.9 (h).

This is why, IMO, the Laws should state that once the SH (or player acting as a SH) has put a hand or hands on the ball, they must keep their hands on until they pick it up.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Did no-one else think the second Scottish try (around 76:45 game clock) should have been disallowed?

https://youtu.be/I9qj1xu1Lcs

Two players clearly ahead of the kicker, running forward hard, one of whom ended up scoring. C.f. Michael Hooper's disallowed try vs. England.

Overall I thought Carley had a good game, though.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The fact that Price came across his line is a bit of a red herring. He made a tackle when the player was in the air. Is your argument that if he'd arrived earlier there would have a different outcome? Like what? He'd have been higher in the air?

And Ali Price isn't exactly the biggest. He'd have been able to see exactly where the receiver was the whole time

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The fact that Price came across his line is a bit of a red herring. He made a tackle when the player was in the air. Is your argument that if he'd arrived earlier there would have a different outcome? Like what? He'd have been higher in the air?

And Ali Price isn't exactly the biggest. He'd have been able to see exactly where the receiver was the whole time

When a player is running to jump to catch a ball, timing is everything; doubly so when the player is competing against an opponent trying to do the same thing, and doubly so again when, thanks to the ridiculous Laws surrounding these scenarios, the narrow margin between a fair contest and a RC can be down to a tiny fraction of a second in that timing, and some luck for good measure.

The movement of White 9 into Black 14's running line prevents Black 14 from jumping to contest the ball, but once he has committed to that jump this makes it impossible for him to stop before colliding with the opponent. IMO, this would have been a fair contest in the air had it not been for the illegal actions of White 9 in obstructing Black 14. White 9 effectively prevented a fair contest from taking place.

If WR is going to persist with this ridiculous situation, then they MUST make sure that the actions of other players around the contest are taken into consideration. This is an incident that the Citing Commissioner would certainly have looked at, and if he thought it warranted a YC, he would surely have issued Naholo with a Citing Commissioner's Warning... AFAIK, that hasn't happened.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
A really bad decision towards the end when Jonny gray picked up and Kieran reed slapped the ball out. Even if he didn't see that how he could give a knock on was beyond me