Maul - BC Knees Go to Ground

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK, it can't be just me- or is it? Have you noticed how many Mauls at this world cup (clearly formed with more than one player from each team plus the ball carrier) have been called 'Tackle' once the ball carrier goes to ground?
It's been like this for a while, at elite level, refs prefer to ref it as a tackle, if they possibly can, to keep the game moving

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If world Rugby want to change how we apply laws they should change the laws so that everyone understands. At the moment we have a law written in black and white that is not being applied -and that makes us all look foolish. I watched a local game last Saturday and the ref applied 'the current thinking' rather than the law as written.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If world Rugby want to change how we apply laws they should change the laws so that everyone understands. At the moment we have a law written in black and white that is not being applied -and that makes us all look foolish. I watched a local game last Saturday and the ref applied 'the current thinking' rather than the law as written.
The ref was probably reffing exactly as his/her society wants ? There are countless examples of how current convention (which changes quite quickly) is different from how the laws are written (which change quite rarely )

I kinda agree, but how I would solve it is for WR and RFU to issue Game Management Guidelines coverig the games they have jurisdiction over, so that we could all see their interpretation and preferences

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
TBH, you can also raise many criticisms over management of the ruck at elite level too. Notably in the Aus v Wales game, one particular ruck, Aus had won the ruck and the ball was available, and Will Skelton arrived and literally belly flopped onto the top of the ruck... off feet and 100% unnecessary (and very obvious, especially since he is not very stealth-like 😆 )

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
TBH, you can also raise many criticisms over management of the ruck at elite level too. Notably in the Aus v Wales game, one particular ruck, Aus had won the ruck and the ball was available, and Will Skelton arrived and literally belly flopped onto the top of the ruck... off feet and 100% unnecessary (and very obvious, especially since he is not very stealth-like 😆 )
He wasn’t playing! So needs to be banned for entering the pitch without permission!:)