Maul Entry

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Happened in the AusVEng game last night.

Gold not involved at the back of a maul which gets twisted and partially breaks apart, with the rear of the maul now exposed to the Gold line. The maul trucks on and the gold defender hits the rear/side of the white maul which happens to be the closest point to him. Gold Player penalised for incorrect entry.

I can't see how this is correct in law or in the spirit - if a mauling team choose to change direction and expose the ball carrier why should it be rewarded?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
have you got the game time?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Gold not involved at the back of a maul which gets twisted and partially breaks apart, with the rear of the maul now exposed to the Gold line. The maul trucks on and the gold defender hits the rear/side of the white maul which happens to be the closest point to him. Gold Player penalised for incorrect entry.

I can't see how this is correct in law or in the spirit - if a mauling team choose to change direction and expose the ball carrier why should it be rewarded?

did gold bind onto the maul from behind the rear foot?

If not he's offside surely ?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

Just processing the description here, I'm not sure how the back of a White maul can have the Gold try line. Players may rotate, but the back of the mail remains at the back.

If a defender then hits the rear/side of the maul them it must be illegal entry... He must engage through the gate.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just processing the description here, I'm not sure how the back of a White maul can have the Gold try line. Players may rotate, but the back of the mail remains at the back.

If a defender then hits the rear/side of the maul them it must be illegal entry... He must engage through the gate.
If a maul spins 90 degrees and white players are the closest players to Gold try line where is the rearmost player? No gate in mauls, just a requirement to bind to the rearmost player.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I havent see the incident but from the description it sounds like it shouldn’t have been a penalty. Difficult to be certain without seeing it as its likely to be a dynamic situation and may not have been as straightforward as described.