[In-goal] Maul in goal

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
(the other option of course, as people say above, is to regard this unusual event as more like a special case of 'held up' and to give an attacking 5m scrum)

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
(the other option of course, as people say above, is to regard this unusual event as more like a special case of 'held up' and to give an attacking 5m scrum)

Yeah - I don't like that though. It's good play from the defence and should be rewarded (particularly if it involves manhandling Will Carling!)

And, considering a maul can't exist in in goal so we can't have a separate maul law, it would turn tackling the BC into TiG into an awkward area. I'm sure everyone agrees that this would be a 22, but if one says that driving a BC into TiG would count as held up, I can't see there being a distinction in law between that and tackling a winger into TiG.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The question boils down to this:

22.10 BALL HELD UP IN-GOAL

When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground the ball, the ball is dead.
A 5-metre scrum is formed. This would apply if play similar to a maul takes place in in-goal. The attacking team throws in the ball.

22.11 BALL DEAD IN IN-GOAL

(a) (deleted for clarity)

(b) When a player carrying the ball touches the touch-in-goal line, the dead ball line, or touches the ground beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead. If the ball was carried into in-goal by the attacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was carried into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the
attacking team throws in the ball.

Does 22.11(b) override 22.10?

22.10 specifies a player in the grasp of an opponent (deduced from "held up") but 22.11(b) makes no mention of it.

My conclusion is that 22.10 only applies to a player who is "held up in goal" (as the heading states) and not driven out of goal.

Therefore a maul driven TiG or over the dead ball line comes under 22.11(b) unless the referee deems it falls under 22.10 due to time or no resolution.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The question boils down to this:

22.10 BALL HELD UP IN-GOAL

When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground the ball, the ball is dead.
A 5-metre scrum is formed. This would apply if play similar to a maul takes place in in-goal. The attacking team throws in the ball.

22.11 BALL DEAD IN IN-GOAL

(a) (deleted for clarity)

(b) When a player carrying the ball touches the touch-in-goal line, the dead ball line, or touches the ground beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead. If the ball was carried into in-goal by the attacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was carried into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the
attacking team throws in the ball.

Does 22.11(b) override 22.10?

22.10 specifies a player in the grasp of an opponent (deduced from "held up") but 22.11(b) makes no mention of it.

My conclusion is that 22.10 only applies to a player who is "held up in goal" (as the heading states) and not driven out of goal.

Therefore a maul driven TiG or over the dead ball line comes under 22.11(b) unless the referee deems it falls under 22.10 due to time or no resolution.
A noble effort, but we are again trying to find an answer by subtle analysis of the actual wording, a procedure I generally distrust.

My preference would be to say that if the ball is being contested as it is taken into in-goal, then 22.10 will apply if neither team manages to ground it. Only if the attacking team is solely responsible for the ball going into in-goal can the defenders earn a 22.

However that is not necessarily how WR would see it.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In most cases there will be a ball carrier and a tackler.
If a ball carrier is tackled into touch, the ball carrier is responsible for putting the ball into touch.
If they cross the goal line and are tackled into touch in goal, the ball carrier is still responsible and I would give a drop out.

Also if it is a maul, you generally know who has possession and they would be responsible for taking it into the in-goal.
If you really do not know who was in possession, then favour the attacking team - just as if there is doubt about grounding.

But you could referee a lot of games and not see that.