Mental Fitness

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had the opportunity at the weekend to step back and coach some of our refs at a high level 7s tournament, giving them advice on clearing up the tackle/breakdown and simple tips and tricks to help spot cheating. All was going very well until the final when one of the refs who had been performing very well during the day just mentally shut down in the final and wasn't in the game at all.

After the game I started to ask what had happened and it became clear that nerves and excitement had taken over so he just couldn't "see" what was in front of him.

Long story short I'm going to write a piece for our society about how to deal with game stresses and stressors but would like to hear of other peoples techniques to combat the "deer in the headlight" experience.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
DrStu - this is a common problem when refs start getting to L6 and above and the pressure is on to perform - from the players and coaches, the intensity of the match, the competitive nature of the report and the challenge for nomination to the next level and self-induced pressure. Also it affects normally confident competent referees covering play offs, promotion / relegation deciders, Cup semis and finals (even at U13 !).

Keeping cool, calm, confident, objective etc under pressure is an important part of referees' development and training - and there are techniques to help handle that. Deep breathing, muscle relaxation, poisotve self-tak, visualisation etc.

RFU have a paid Referee Panel Manager who is a research psychologist at Cardiff University, and he gives talks on this topic to the High Performance Panel and L5 Group guys. I think he was a National Squad referee in Australia in 1990s.

I will forward any material I have come across to you.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
would like to hear of other peoples techniques to combat the "deer in the headlight" experience.
don't panic
and make sure you have your towel.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Made all the funnier by the fact I'm rereading the series at the moment:biggrin:

don't panic
and make sure you have your towel.

That sounds great and would be much appreciated.

DrStu - this is a common problem when refs start getting to L6 and above and the pressure is on to perform - from the players and coaches, the intensity of the match, the competitive nature of the report and the challenge for nomination to the next level and self-induced pressure. Also it affects normally confident competent referees covering play offs, promotion / relegation deciders, Cup semis and finals (even at U13 !).

Keeping cool, calm, confident, objective etc under pressure is an important part of referees' development and training - and there are techniques to help handle that. Deep breathing, muscle relaxation, poisotve self-tak, visualisation etc.

RFU have a paid Referee Panel Manager who is a research psychologist at Cardiff University, and he gives talks on this topic to the High Performance Panel and L5 Group guys. I think he was a National Squad referee in Australia in 1990s.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
In my experience, there's more to it than a successful coping mechanism. What Simon describes above is in reaction to pressure, but ultimately the first step is recognizing that we are feeling under pressure and then understanding why we are reacting in a certain way (see: The Chimp Paradox by Doctor Steve Peters). It's a lot more effective to develop "emotional intelligence". I'll bring papers and documents on this to the 7s in 2 weeks. The individual that Simon mentions below authors a few of these.

I've got some of the above-mentioned presentations that talks about decision-making processes (from tick boxes to rubix cubes) that are very effective in understanding and breaking down accurate decision making versus credible decision making. Again, a lot of self awareness stuff.

In short, I could go on for hours about this.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well go on! Love to hear some.

I envy, yet hate at the same time, those cool and calm refs that make it look so easy as if they're having a cup of tea and scone while the goliaths sort out that Rucky thing. While when I scatter around the park thinking I'm in control only to be told by a few referee mates "just chillax, it's going fine but you look like a cat on a hot tin roof!" . I've put it down to just the way I am - even when I don't feel pressured. Man I must look a real treat when I'm actually feeling I'm having a wide-eyed deer moment!

So it would be nice to hear some strategies to 'mask' the external with 'calm' regardless of what's happening internal.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here's what works for me:

"it doesn't really matter"

So you make a couple of crook decisions - what's the worst that can happen? Today's big issue is tomorrow's big joke.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
3 key things worked for me

1. Visualisation. I used to visualise the first 20 minutes of the match the night before whilst at the gym on an exercise bike. Went through all possible scenarios with the teams in their colours. Also visualised key moments, like 5m attacking lineout as well as tackle/post tackle. Took into account the prevailing weather.

2. On arrival at the ground run the pitch in a diagonal pattern and get reference points - 10m lines etc. Angle of the sun etc.

3. Music. This is much underrated IMO as a means of both calming and also hyping up. Many a time I've arrived for a match 'not in the zone' but various tunes have worked the magic.

It's all very personal but the best bit of advice is that only have one pair of eyes!!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
A sense of perspective works for me. Yes it's important to the players and me but ulitmately it's a game for them and a hobby for me.

By keeping this in proportion helps me perform better, when I buld up its importance in my mind then my performance seems to suffer.

Others I know need to be 'hyped up' I prefer the hyped down approach.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
3. Music. This is much underrated IMO as a means of both calming and also hyping up. Many a time I've arrived for a match 'not in the zone' but various tunes have worked the magic.

Many of the L5 referees I assess have and IPod or similar player on when doing their initial pre-match warm ups.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
OK a few random thoughts here.

• When leaving the house and during the journey (even before if you can) get into "the zone", clearing your mind of all other distractions.
  • Arrive in plenty of time, there is nothing more likely to put you under mental pressure than arriving late.
  • Have a pre match routine for arrival, getting changed, warm up etc. this familiar routine frees up your mind allowing it to clear and concentrate on the task ahead.
  • Hydrate before and during the game. Dehydration can affect your power to think clearly and push you into the area of confusion.
  • Learn to compartmentalise areas of the game. Some things like a mistake, can be put in a box and thrown away, dwelling on it will not help you. Others like repeat offending, offenders colour and number need to be kept in an open box, where you can go back and see them at any time. Imagine your thoughts are like a filing cabinet. Some files get archived, some are pending.
  • Every chance you get, do some slow deep breathing (this is during the game) keep your heart rate down, keep composed, stay calm at all times. Rapid breathing and raised heart rate also affect your decision making, be aware of this and work on getting your breathing back to normal after a sustained period of running.
  • Always give yourself time before making decisions. Calm down, think it through, make the decision.
  • Remind yourself to smile and enjoy the game. This helps you keep the right mental attitude.

I have a talk on this subject somewhere, I will try and dig it out.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll try and work them into my piece. I agree that being mentally calm before the game is a massive factor and have successfully taught a few people to "black box" external worries and focus on the game.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Do I need to upload some MP3's of me saying various things such as 'You are a tiger, you are fearless, you will nit change a decision unless the AR gives you good reason, you will walk onto the pitch with a smile, etc..'

:biggrin:

On a serious note, it would be fantastic if you could allow us to reproduce that here. Most refs have suffered this at some point in their careers, and I know I did at a L7 relegation battle in London.

It does hit us hard afterwards, and coping/learning from it is a must if you wish to proceed further.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK a few random thoughts here.

• Learn to compartmentalise areas of the game. Some things like a mistake, can be put in a box and thrown away, dwelling on it will not help you. Others like repeat offending, offenders colour and number need to be kept in an open box, where you can go back and see them at any time. Imagine your thoughts are like a filing cabinet. Some files get archived, some are pending.

• Regrettably, my filing system is a cluttered desk. Given an hour or so, I can find anything. Its just that, for 59 minutes, I know exactly where it is, but cannot lay my hands on it. This may well be why I never progressed beyond L.8!

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
We put far too much on the level of the game, The simple facts are that red will be playing blue for 80 or so mins, you dont know or quite frankly care who wins but you will do your very best in every game that you do! It really is that simple.......

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the level of game becomes relevant when it's a level above what you're comfortable/capable of. As ST has mentioned in the past; people suffer from promotions when they are advanced passed a position that they were/are very good at.
We put far too much on the level of the game, The simple facts are that red will be playing blue for 80 or so mins, you dont know or quite frankly care who wins but you will do your very best in every game that you do! It really is that simple.......

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Of course I plan on sharing, I'm pretty busy with work and two 2 day 7s tournament over the next fortnight but I'm hoping to chip away at it in my spare time.

Do I need to upload some MP3's of me saying various things such as 'You are a tiger, you are fearless, you will nit change a decision unless the AR gives you good reason, you will walk onto the pitch with a smile, etc..'

:biggrin:

On a serious note, it would be fantastic if you could allow us to reproduce that here. Most refs have suffered this at some point in their careers, and I know I did at a L7 relegation battle in London.

It does hit us hard afterwards, and coping/learning from it is a must if you wish to proceed further.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thats the issue! It is in fact easier to referee the higher you go! So if you remove the level of the game from your mind then as I said its red v blue, just like last week and the week before!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Womble is spot on, but it is not a natural reaction except for the naturally confident or supremely gifted.

Being neither I certainly have felt 'mental pressure' in sports participation when out of my comfort zone - athletics champs, first match for University (but not for Quins strangely enough), and a few more. Over the years with experience gained it was less of an issue when I started reffing in 2000 and progressed up the levels.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree but you and I have different mental capabilities to someone else that may need to learn that nerves and excitement are good but not when they ruin your performance. As The Boss said "I still get butterflies in my stomach before a gig; it lets me know I care"
Thats the issue! It is in fact easier to referee the higher you go! So if you remove the level of the game from your mind then as I said its red v blue, just like last week and the week before!