Mid-Match Vomit

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Damn Autocorrect has sabotaged the title ...... Vomit , not commit!!!!!!!

L10, Early 2nd half, I notice a player vommitting profusely in the middle of the pitch. I hadnt noticed any likely concussion incident, but immediate time off anyway.k

Player assures me that " he's been feeling hungover since kick off, and thinks he may have drank too much water at half time"! , I question him further and he's bantering with teammates over last nights 'piss up' not finishing til 4am this am!

Other than this he looks fine, & I'd actually thought he was in the upper quartile ability level of players on the pitch, so I'm happy for him to continue.

Q's?

1) If you wouldnt? , say why
2) Aside from the unpleasantness does vommit carry any microbiological risk?
3) Which leads onto, should the game be suspended until its removed / masked / diluted , [and abandoned if everyone refuses]
4) & who's task is it ? ( home club for dog crap etc) but away side puked up on this pitch

??

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Re: Mid match commit.

Massive amount of infectious nasties.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Massive amount of infectious nasties.

Are there?

Until it pops out it's not vomit it's just what's in your stomach and that's not infectious? I thought it would be food (mainly carrots diced in nature of course) water, enzymes and hydrochloric acid give or take a chemical or two.

Although in some cases because it is infectious do you chuck it up?

That said I wouldn't like to eat any! :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

He who threw it up should clean it up. SOP.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
- - - Updated - - -

Do not continue to read if you have a weak stomach!

This is unfortunately, a true story.

We had two young brothers, fresh from the valleys, playing for us. For some long forgotten misdemeanour, the younger of the two had to drink a yard of ale. He had managed most of the tube before he vomited back causing a plug of vomit and leaving the bulb still full of alcohol. The elder brother immediately took the yard and finished the drink including his brother's vomit plug, in, I might add, a very quick time.

'Couldn't let the Welsh down' was his only comment as there was a concerted rush for the doors as everyone else in the room ran to vomit!!!

NM

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Had a similar a few years back at a match that took part at the Linford Christie Stadium in West London. The culprit admitted it was "..too much champagne and charlie, sir..."! Turned out his party had finished about 0600, but rather warningly he drove to the game in a rather smart Audi TT.

All part of life's experiences and challenges

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had this.

I stopped him playing.
Coach went ballistic, he wouldnt leave the field. Both red cards and hefty bans.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had this.
I stopped him playing.

you stopped him playing ..
because he had been sick ?
because he had been sick on the pitch ?
because you were worried that being sick was a symptom of something more serious (concussion/fever) and you considered he was too ill to play (or a risk)?

Ronald

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Tough one...I've had it as well, but player had received bump on the head earlier in the move, and luckily before medics could remove him, the coach did.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Tough one...I've had it as well, but player had received bump on the head earlier in the move, and luckily before medics could remove him, the coach did.

I had the misfortune of puking(I didn't think it was possible, but I may have had too many beers the night/morning before) just prior to an 8am tournament kickoff. I did have the decency to step off the pitch to do so though.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Eeeeeewwwwwwwwww.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Back in my playing days, I used to puke - usually after a maul and through over exerting. No Ref ever asked me to leave.

I think I would at least ask someone to wash it away with a bucket of water.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Only time it happened to me, on tour. Managed to get the pre-game chunder into a bin next to the pitch.

And the second chunder into same bin post match. Pitch - which was astroturf - left unchundered.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've had it twice in games I was officiating.

Once as an AR in a semi-final the full-back was crook in back play. I informed the coach and asked him to get his FAO to check him and if it's a head knock to get him off and for it the area to be washed down with a few bottles of water. Coach said he just had the flu. I informed the ref through comms to keep an eye on the player ( in case it was a head knock). Ref allowed him to stay on, though the player was replaced 10mins later as he was spent!

The other was in a game I was ref. Athletic #8 was puking after 15mins of play (near the sideline - 10m infield). I asked him if he had a knock to the head. He was very lucid and told me he'd just eaten too much before the game. I got his FAO to check him and clear him but told them if he was sick again then he was off. I made him wash down the area before we restarted. Funnily play seemed not to go to that part of the field again? I'm positive the players all deliberately avoided it.

Last edited:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
you stopped him playing ..
because he had been sick ?
because he had been sick on the pitch ?
because you were worried that being sick was a symptom of something more serious (concussion/fever) and you considered he was too ill to play (or a risk)?

Because he was sick through the game, then obviously not medically fit enough to continue IMO.

Head injury was my main concern.

If he was hung over and not concussed then its a lesson for him.

If any player vomits during any of my games, they leave the field simples.

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Back in the mists of time in my playing days our loosehead prop failed to show for a match (apparently got lost on the way) so we dragged one of the second team out of the bar as their match had been called off. He assured us he'd be fine as he'd "only had 3 or 4 pints". After about 15 minutes the opposition winger got the ball and was away, our replacement prop decided to chase him down and, as it was a 4th team game nearly caught him. The winger touched down in the corner and our prop continued running past him, over the dead ball line to the hedge where he proceeded to recycle all "3 or 4 pints" plus assorted other snacks he'd consumed to soak up the alcohol.

None of the opposition wanted to tackle him for some reason after that and their TH wasn't overkeen on scrummaging either.