Missed punches in a brawl

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was watching a you tube "handbags that developed" video over Christmas and came up with the Wales v Ireland Grand slam decider in 2005. Sidoli and O'Connell have a great big tussle on the floor with both swinging punches that don't really connect (Brian Moore described it as "Greco Roman Wrestling")

In the event ref Chris White gave them both a talking to and said "there's been some great rugby, we don't need that spectacle" and got on with the game. No cards issued.

Good management or poor decision?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Given that Green5 was cited for punching Red5 and subsequently banned for 2 weeks for doing so, should have been minimum PK, if not a card.
But if the referee didn't see the scuffle clearly, his decision was simply based on what he saw.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good decision for me you can only give what you see.
I had one yesterday, 5 or 6 players from each side, bit of shirt tugging and posturing nothing but handbags..
The only thing i saw was blue 10 running in from a distance to get involved so when it all calmed down, off he went for a 10 minute cooler.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Was watching a you tube "handbags that developed" video over Christmas and came up with the Wales v Ireland Grand slam decider in 2005. Sidoli and O'Connell have a great big tussle on the floor with both swinging punches that don't really connect (Brian Moore described it as "Greco Roman Wrestling")

In the event ref Chris White gave them both a talking to and said "there's been some great rugby, we don't need that spectacle" and got on with the game. No cards issued.

Good management or poor decision?

Cards have become so commonplace, but I can't remember if they were used in 2005. What year did we did decide to follow soccer?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Cards have become so commonplace, but I can't remember if they were used in 2005. What year did we did decide to follow soccer?
It was an ELV in 2000 that has remained in the laws ever since.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Given that Green5 was cited for punching Red5 and subsequently banned for 2 weeks for doing so, should have been minimum PK, if not a card.

If banned, should have been a red card if seen.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
no TMO then I'd guess, so ref is on his own backed up by AR's.

Always think it's good to get the 2 that start that type of thing, but that said, they can sometimes be just a bit of a wrestle and nothing more comes of it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Paul O'Connell involved in a wrestling/punching incident - well I never!