Missing studs, do you care?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So I just wanted to check when people care about missing studs.

I absolutely care about sharp or worn studs, but missing generally I'm ok with.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Depends where it is. One of the two at the rear? I’m asking them to change boots or get a stud AND find me before the game to show me it’s now OK. At the front I’m a little more sympathetic if 1 of 6 (or 4) is missing.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is only danger to the player wearing the boots with missing studs -it is their problem, not yours. I would point it out in case they were unaware.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is only danger to the player wearing the boots with missing studs -it is their problem, not yours. I would point it out in case they were unaware.
If they have missing studs and stand on someone , all their weight might be transmitted through one single stud. That's the potential danger to others
This is why the single toe stud used to be illegal

However when WR legalised the toe stud, presumably this was after some research that suggested it was safe after all. I dunno

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
However when WR legalised the toe stud, presumably this was after some research that suggested it was safe after all. I dunno
Wasn’t it brought in after forwards were no longer allowed to rake the **** out of any player who they trapped on the floor as they “attempted” the ruck the ball but “accidentally” found the player’s back or ribs and - as long as they didn’t stamp - could really go to town on you?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Wasn’t it brought in after forwards were no longer allowed to rake the **** out of any player who they trapped on the floor as they “attempted” the ruck the ball but “accidentally” found the player’s back or ribs and - as long as they didn’t stamp - could really go to town on you?
but backs were allowed to do that ? ;-)

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I still have the scars

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looks like it was 2014 , and we immediately discussed missing studs

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I find that the ability of rugby players to stand on one stud in order transmit greater ground pressure onto an opponent's body is pretty poor. It is far more likely that they will be using part of the unstuded sole in order to stay upright. Not even sure that a blunt stud will penetrate skin anyway. I'm sure that we all penalise stamping, regardless of the number of studs/cleats on the sole of a boot.

So, in short, no I don't worry. What I stud-check for is rough studs / those with sharp edges, which might cause accidental injury to others. If players wish to wear boots that do not provide the full grip, then that is their problem.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find that the ability of rugby players to stand on one stud in order transmit greater ground pressure onto an opponent's body is pretty poor. It is far more likely that they will be using part of the unstuded sole in order to stay upright. Not even sure that a blunt stud will penetrate skin anyway. I'm sure that we all penalise stamping, regardless of the number of studs/cleats on the sole of a boot.

So, in short, no I don't worry.
I imagine that must be pretty much what WR concluded back in 2014

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

So, in short, no I don't worry. What I stud-check for is rough studs / those with sharp edges, which might cause accidental injury to others. If players wish to wear boots that do not provide the full grip, then that is their problem.

The other thing I take note of is players whose boots are held together with tape.
If the sole and upper come apart and need to be taped together there can often be a very sharp piece or rigid plastic sticking out the side.