MLR law trials

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
My immediate thought.
I would think lines drawn perpendicular from the posts will be required to help the ref and stop arguments.
On the line = inside the posts? - or not?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My immediate thought.
I would think lines drawn perpendicular from the posts will be required to help the ref and stop arguments.

yup... my first thought was - ANOTHER line call.

Now maybe a narriw call mistakenly made doesnt really affect the ability to complete the extra 2 points... but if the intention is to save time then we cant have fraffing about with TMOs/slow mos/reviews or whatever, and a conversion required call etc doesnt save the time needed.

Likely not a biggy.

That 2 sctums per incident thing is needing more flesh on the bone... so what happens after two collapses? Or the 2nd scrum ends in a FK/PK but now a side has lost a tactical option of scrum again.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Thank God I’ve left the USA and don’t have to deal with this crap.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I like the between the posts change.

I don't foresee any real issues with a ref making the call.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My immediate thought.

The referee is the sole judge of fact. Doesn’t matter if the platters agree or not and want to argue. Make the call. It doesn’t need painted lines.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
given a kick in the frnt of the psts is "a given", and so is a kick 1m to the side of the posts. Why not make that a wider "box" ?

I suspect the answer is coming up with a width that is meaninfgful in this regard and where then lines WOULD have to be provided AND line calls DO become pertinent.

maybe if the idea is to speed up the time taken for conversions, they should be made drop kicks (CF the restart/kick off changes made several years ago) ?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
No one has a reservation with this MLR variation ?
#4 on list
The offside line will be the feed line/channel of the scrum to allow for unimpeded access to the ball at the back of the scrum for the attacking team.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
#4 on list
The offside line will be the feed line/channel of the scrum to allow for unimpeded access to the ball at the back of the scrum for the attacking team.

for clarity, no doubt we are referring to the opposing SH. I'm good with it, allows team in possession good opportunity to clear ball. Long overdue.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
#4 on list

It is an Under 15 Regulation in England. Says it all really.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
#4 on list
Our juniors play like that, unless it has changed recently. It does allow for the ball to get out of the scrum easier.

Not sure about whether it is necessary for seniors though.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
a lot of the time the opposing SH then might consider retreating to the back foot, and then is free to move sideways across the pitch, if needed, with the aim of being first up tackler.

He can be a lot closer to the oppo 10 then his open side flanker can.

meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if the ball DOES get away more quickly. Might the lack of pressure lead scrum half to mess about with the ball at the back, weighing up options, with plenty of time?

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thank God I’ve left the USA and don’t have to deal with this crap.

If, you were on the MLR panel or refereeing in the ARC you would have to deal with (the crap) Law Trials, but I don't think you were/are, so really nothing to deal with.

This likely only effects a dozen or so referees in all of the Americas.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
for clarity, no doubt we are referring to the opposing SH. I'm good with it, allows team in possession good opportunity to clear ball. Long overdue.

The negative here is that our Professional/International SHs will not be ready for the pressure in non-MLR/ARC matches. Not sure it really adds anything, other than for teams that aren't good at securing their scrums.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
a lot of the time the opposing SH then might consider retreating to the back foot, and then is free to move sideways across the pitch, if needed, with the aim of being first up tackler.

He can be a lot closer to the oppo 10 then his open side flanker can.

meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if the ball DOES get away more quickly. Might the lack of pressure lead scrum half to mess about with the ball at the back, weighing up options, with plenty of time?

"Use it!"

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
My immediate thought.

Just watched the highlights from the weekend, can confirm there are lines.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If, you were on the MLR panel or refereeing in the ARC you would have to deal with (the crap) Law Trials, but I don't think you were/are, so really nothing to deal with.

This likely only effects a dozen or so referees in all of the Americas.

This will trickle down and players will ask about playing to those variations. Coaches were still asking about HIA in the last season played.

These are solutions in search of a problem, and aren’t necessary. Falkland’s adage applies.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
perhaps the unwritten rule is if it's that close its given as in, as a conversion from that close to "the line" will be kicked anyway ... ??

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just watched the highlights from the weekend, can confirm there are lines.
I watched some of the Toronto-Atlanta game at Life University, and I don't think I saw any.