More law trials

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If so this is a limited set of games in a quasi -elite setting, so the concerns about restarts within a set time limit when the ball has ended up in a field/canal/tree etc are probably redundant - ie they'll be played inside a stadium with ball boys etc
that's true but presumably if successful these new laws would cascade down to the weeds. But if the ball ended up rolling down a hill and into a creek, etc I'd just blow time off

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Advantage Law – three phases and then advantage over (territorial and tactical advantage consideration remains at referees’ discretion)

Watching Quins vs Northampton right now... Northampton just had a penalty advantage with 1 minute 18 seconds and 9 (arguably 10) phases between infringement and whistle.
what was the whistle for? No advantage, come back for the infringement sanction? Under the trial, advantage would have presumably have been well & truly over.

Also, I wonder what "territorial and tactical advantage consideration remains at referees’ discretion" means? Does this mean ref can overrule the 3 phases thing? Or does it just mean advantage can be over sooner than 3 phases?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what was the whistle for? No advantage, come back for the infringement sanction? Under the trial, advantage would have presumably have been well & truly over.

?
or called 'no advantage' after 3 phases.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Stopping the clock is not a solution to the problem ..it's part of it, as it means nothing is going on, elapsed times continue to grow and the crowds and TV viewers are bored silly
This. My thought is stopping the clock only encourages time wasting for teams/players who want a breather or want to discuss strategy or have some other kind of manipulation intended. There’s no incentive to actually get on with play.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
or called 'no advantage' after 3 phases.
I don't think that's right. Surely "advantage over" means just that. Or maybe it's just for scrum infringements ... who knows?

Advantage Law – three phases and then advantage over (territorial and tactical advantage consideration remains at referees’ discretion)

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I don't think that's right. Surely "advantage over" means just that. Or maybe it's just for scrum infringements ... who knows?

Surely that means that if after three phases AND no territorial / tactical advantage has been gained, come back for the sanction whether that is scrum or penalty. the territorial / tactical variance between scrum and penalty advantage should still be applied. It does not make sense that they mean you could have three phases going backwards and "advantage over - play on"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I assume that press release about the trial is sloppily worded, and what is really on trial is that after three phases the ref must make a decision .. ie advantage gained, or advantage not gained.

Either way, no more advantage can be played.

Which would make sense

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Is a 'phase' defined?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Can I( just clarify the scrum rest trials...

I can see online

1st collapse – if no clear penalty, a re-set if no clear sanction
2nd collapse – if no clear sanction, free kick to feeding team (tap only)

BUT

* does the feed switch after 1st collapse or not (above suggests it doesn't)
* is this ONLY for collapses? eg if the packs square up and the ref stops before the engagement (for whatever) that does NOT constitute a reset ? But players may still unbind from team mates and set up again?

any ideas/thoughts?

didds

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Can I( just clarify the scrum rest trials...

I can see online

1st collapse – if no clear penalty, a re-set if no clear sanction
2nd collapse – if no clear sanction, free kick to feeding team (tap only)

BUT

* is this ONLY for collapses? eg if the packs square up and the ref stops before the engagement (for whatever) that does NOT constitute a reset ? But players may still unbind from team mates and set up again?

any ideas/thoughts?

didds
A reset only takes place after the ‘set’ call. This is how it is regarded when collecting data on a match. Before that I call it a ‘reform’ and as such is not noted in the official data. I personally do collect the info about reforms in case there are several and then be asking who is responsible and whether the referee should be penalising for pre-set offences.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thanks balones - that just leaves the first query if anybody has any definitive answer (interestingly i cant find anything on an "official" site eg world rugby, aus rugby union, only more generalised rugby sites ...)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
From the wording it is the same scrum re-set . Therfore same put-in.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That's what I figured Marc, but I was sure Id read somewhere the feed was reversed. No idea where I could have got that from mind!

As an aside I really struggle with the description of "feed" - too many connotations! But I dont have a better word for it !

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That's what I figured Marc, but I was sure Id read somewhere the feed was reversed. No idea where I could have got that from mind!

As an aside I really struggle with the description of "feed" - too many connotations! But I dont have a better word for it !
Oh, "put in", sic transit gloria mundi

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
CF

the feeding side
the side with the put in v the put-in side (makes it sound quasi Russian... ;-) )
not a hill I'll die on you may rest assured!

when you are writing to word number deadlines brevity over phrases is important :)

Last edited: