More than one offence by the same team

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Switching to the Laws forum, for a more general debate than the thread which raised this

What happens when Red commit more than one PK offence ?

This was subject to a Law Trial last year and then in May 2018 the law was changed

[LAWS]

Jan 2018
7.2.d The offending team commits a second infringement from which no advantage can be gained. The referee stops play and applies the appropriate and more advantageous sanction (either tactically or territorially).

May 2018 Law Change
7.2.d The offending team commits a second or subsequent infringement from which no advantage can be gained. The referee stops play and allows the captain of the non-offending team to choose the most advantageous sanction.

[/LAWS]

(note this is not a rewrite thing, there was a global trial resulting in a law change )

So in another thread about two simultaneous offences people were very reluctant to offer a choice, and wanted to penalise the most material offence (which is not actually the old Law either )

So my general question is : in what circumstances do people feel that the new 7.2.d does not apply ? And why ?

For me it's very straightforward .. two offences : non offending team get a choice

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For me it's very straightforward .. two offences : non offending team get a choice

Only if you are playing advantage from the first offence.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
CR - It seems to me that you are ignoring the possibility of simultaneous offending.
Six players offside under 10M law. You would give an option?
Four players never on side from last breakdown. Who do you penalise?
As Phil E says, only if you play advantage can you give an option. Also only if they offend with a different penalty I would say and not the same one as the one you are playing advantage from.

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The thread was a question about offside, I think that explains a lot of the reluctance.

It's very rare to see simultaneous offences in materially different parts of the field - partly because they tend to happen around the ball, partly timing, partly because as a ref youre likely to miss one, being focussed on the other.

As an example, though, you might see kick chasers coming up and both being obstructed by a flat line of defenders. In that case, I'd offer the options.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
CR - It seems to me that you are ignoring the possibility of simultaneous offending.

This is specifically covered in law, which gives you an dea of how the law makers were intending it to be policed.

Extract from Law 10.4c

[LAWS]If this involves more than one player, then the player closest to where the ball lands or is caught is the one penalised.[/LAWS]

No mention of a choice, that is only covered in Law 7.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
CR - It seems to me that you are ignoring the possibility of simultaneous offending..

7.2.d covers both simultaneous and subsequent

It says, specifically a "second OR subsequent" offence

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You must have , otherwise you would have blown your whistle

You are only playing advantage if you have said and indicated so.
Otherwise it just means you didn’t see it or are ignoring it.

But this question arose from the other thread where more than one person was offside at the same time and you blow up. You cannot offer the non offending team a choice of places for the penalty because you weren’t playing advantage.

If you are playing advantage then the law is very clear on what options are available if a second offence or second advantage occurs.

Balones

Post Likes
This is specifically covered in law, which gives you an dea of how the law makers were intending it to be policed.

Extract from Law 10.4c

[LAWS]If this involves more than one player, then the player closest to where the ball lands or is caught is the one penalised.[/LAWS]

No mention of a choice, that is only covered in Law 7.

Spoil sport!:smile: I was going to pull that one out of the hat depending on how CR responded.

Balones

Post Likes
In the original post in the other thread you would see three players offside. You would play an advantage and see what would happen. Once you are playing advantage the winger (or centre) who is originally offside is now in an onside position in open play so will be allowed to tackle. It is not an offence unless the tackle was illegal. In the latter situation you would give an option. It is what happens before the tackle that is penalised. I.E. rushed pass etc, early half tackle by the 10 which still allows the ball to be moved away etc.

Balones

Post Likes
7.2.d covers both simultaneous and subsequent

It says, specifically a "second OR subsequent" offence

Second and subsequent are not the same as simultaneous. Both second and subsequent come after the first offence and the first offence in the example we were originally discussing was simultaneous offending. (All at the same time.) So 7.2d does not apply unless there is a second or subsequent offence. See my other post above.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the offside scenario (that I've decided is material and will penalise) with multiple offenders I'm probably going to consider that a 'single offence' from the perspective of where the kick is taken and not offer the option, at least I have done that, if the winger half a pitch away is also offside I don't think that's likely to be material enough to be considered an option anyway.

If we have a phase of play with multiple distinct offences that warrant a penalty then yes, I give the option of where the captain would like the mark. The challenge I've had here (may have been discussed recently I can't remember) is do you allow them to go quick? (Assuming it's not the captain that's going quick). I certainly have pulled it back for this as I need the captains decision (and because often I need to talk to the opposite captain too) - not that I would always.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
They can't go quick (or at all) until you make the mark. If you need to ask the captain where he'd like the mark, you can't make it.

Personally, if it's fairly obvious and the defence would be able to set if I check, I'll make the mark and then look for a nod from the captain, or call as I'm heading over. It can take a bit of multitasking, though :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
1 in starting a new thread I was trying to generalise from one specific incident, let's see if we can generate a rule that works generally

Bringing various reaponses together

Scenario 1
You signal adv for one offence
Then a completely separate offence occurs
a. we all agree 7.2.d applies ?

Scenario 2
One offence occurs, before you can stick your arm out , another one occurs
a put your arm out, same as 1

Scenario 3
An offence occurs, but before you can get your whistle to your mouth , another one occurs
A blow whistle and penalise first one

Scenario 4
Two or more simultaneous offences occur
You play advantage
a same as 1m. 7.2.d applies

Scenario 5
Two or more simultaneous offences occur , you blow whistle
A . This is the one to discuss

Balones

Post Likes
I thought we were talking about one offence committed by several players simultaneously and not multiple offences by multiple players simultaneously.

Balones

Post Likes
Four players never on side from last breakdown. Who do you penalise?
As Phil E says, only if you play advantage can you give an option. Also only if they offend with a different penalty I would say and not the same one as the one you are playing advantage from.

Thought I'd better clarify that it could be because of another different offence rather than just a penalty. I.E. knock-on from a genuine attempt to intercept.

Balones

Post Likes
If you are able to listen in to a higher level (Panel and above) referee briefing to his/her ARs you will hear them tell them to only call in a mid-field offside if and when it is material and then mark the material spot. The AR will perhaps have seen several players offside but will only make the call when the centre makes the tackle or put pressure on the ball carrier to pass after having been in an offside position. The better referees do not want to stop the game or call an advantage unless it is material.

At lower levels I would be looking for a referee to have seen a potential offence and only apply materiality to a specific situation. If the offside was not material then play on. However, I would be looking for a good referee to mention at downtime that he had seen the offside and warn players to be more careful.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought we were talking about one offence committed by several players simultaneously and not multiple offences by multiple players simultaneously.

This thread was mean to be about the general rules when more than one offence has been committrd..

There does seem to be a view that it's different for offside then for other offences

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you are able to listen in to a higher level (Panel and above) referee briefing to his/her ARs you will hear them tell them to only call in a mid-field offside if and when it is material and then mark the material spot. The AR will perhaps have seen several players offside but will only make the call when the centre makes the tackle or put pressure on the ball carrier to pass after having been in an offside position. The better referees do not want to stop the game or call an advantage unless it is material.

At lower levels I would be looking for a referee to have seen a potential offence and only apply materiality to a specific situation. If the offside was not material then play on. However, I would be looking for a good referee to mention at downtime that he had seen the offside and warn players to be more careful.

Yes makes perfect sense

But what I wanted to focus on in this thread is where there are two players who are BOTH material.

Where is the PK

(Perhaps one is in the 9/10 channel, the other is in the 9/11 channel .. but let's not be distracted by the example , it's the general rule I am after .. what if there are two material offences)

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
CR and everyone have very compelling arguments. I've read through all the comments. My interpretation of second and subsequent offences is the sane as CR. If you take "second and subsequent" as a combination for criteria for applying Pen advantage, then you would need to stop at the 3rd pen, and bring in back to the 2nd pen and give the options for the 1st or 2nd offences.
I read this as 2 separate criterion ei - there has been a 2nd penalty (would be a the second offence) and a subsequent offence (so conceivably 3rd,4th,5th, 6th etc offences), so you could offer option with them.

Now here's what I think the crux is. If we accept the "Second" and "Subsequent" are different criterion, then "Second" could mean simultaneous and anymore pens are the subsequent to the 2nd (simultaneous) offence (I'm hoping this makes sense lol).

That being said, if the pillar has sneaked slightly offside at the same time as the 10 but the 10 makes the tackle I'd prob just let the pillar go as immaterial, depending on if I felt he impacted the decision making of the 9. Then maybe just have a word with the captain about watching the offside as it may be material next time.