Mr Binman - Connacht v Munster

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A piece of smart marketing that adds an extra touch of humiliation to the offender.:biggrin::biggrin:
Insult to Injury.jpg

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and it's yellow, too. Top marks.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
This particular YC was also a PT.
Anyone who watched the game care to comment on that decision?

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I was at the game, but I had my green tinged glasses on, for me it was a marginally early tackle and was worthy of a pen only. A case could be made for a YC and I'd accept it but thought it was harsh. The PT was over kill for me, I felt that Marmion could have made a tackle as he was the covering player which for would put doubt in my mind that a try would probably have been scored. Again stress the heavily tinted green glasses. ��

Dont like the bin man chair, it's a clever marketing idea from a refuse company in Limerick , but to me it's cheap and tacky and has no place in the game.

first win in 29 years for Connacht in Munster!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I think there was a white plastic chair close by. I would have grabbed that one and then let someone try to make me change to the yellow throne.
Is it only a Munster thing or has Mr Bian sponsored the entire competition?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Was happy with the YC, however the PT seemed a bit far out. There were 2 people I saw that could have covered and made a tackle.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
anyone have the video of the incident? As for the chair, I really couldn't care less. It's more of a TV thing than anything else. If you consider that basically everything else on the field is covered in sponsorship logos, I see nothing wrong with adding the bin chair to that list. As long as rugby doesn't reach European hockey levels of sponsorship I'll be happy.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I reckon they should replace the Mr Binman super chair with one of those seats above a tank of water and a bucket full of balls like they have at a carnival. Every time your team mates give away a FK or a PK while you're in the bin, an opposition player gets to run over, take a ball from the bucket and have a free peg at the target to try to dunk you.

I really think the big yellow chair is a bit over the top.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon they should replace the Mr Binman super chair with one of those seats above a tank of water and a bucket full of balls like they have at a carnival. Every time your team mates give away a FK or a PK while you're in the bin, an opposition player gets to run over, take a ball from the bucket and have a free peg at the target to try to dunk you.

I really think the big yellow chair is a bit over the top.

Nah, too much pissing about. Just set up a Graham Norton-like Red Chair arrangement; pull the lever and the binned player tips over backward into a tank of ice water.

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ya...Not sure about that PT. I'm fine with the YC as it seemed professional in my view, but the 9 and open side wing seemed to be having the space behind covered to at least make an attempted tackle before the IG.

As for the binned player, why not mic em up with the commentary crew...that'd spice things up a bit.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
first win in 29 years for Connacht in Munster!

First: Big congratulations on that point. A great start from the "Runt of the litter"!

Dont like the bin man chair, it's a clever marketing idea from a refuse company in Limerick , but to me it's cheap and tacky and has no place in the game.

Is that not simply the way Rugby is going?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Just watched the video. Let's just say had that been a Munster tackle on the Connacht player, we'd have seen just a PK. Very poor from Ben.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
PK and YC yes.

PT no.

IMO.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't like the chair. I know it's a small thing, but basically it's mocking.

On field : if players start mocking the recipient of a PK or YC, (joke applause, pat on the head that sort of thing) then I'd quietly put a stop to it - it's the sort of thing that can easily escalate if it continues, and tempers start to fray.

So I don't think it's a good idea for officialdom to be doing the same sort of thing.

At Quins for many years they used to mock the recipients of YC by playing 'these boots were made for walking' on the sound system as they walked off. I will admit the crowd enjoyed it, but to me it wasn't classy and I was pleased when it recently stopped.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Which would you rather sit in?

Big Man Little Chair.jpgInsult to Injury.jpg

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I wonder what they would have done if the Connacht player (captain???) had sat himself on the blue fold up chair to his right?

And thanks for posting the pic of the AB's player on that ridiculous little kid's plastic chair Phil. Had been looking for that one this morning.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you consider that basically everything else on the field is covered in sponsorship logos, I see nothing wrong with adding the bin chair to that list. As long as rugby doesn't reach European hockey levels of sponsorship I'll be happy.

Yes - God help us if we ever get to this point:

Hockey.jpg

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes - God help us if we ever get to this point:

attachment.php

Funny man...

https://www.spenglercup.ch/sites/de...images/swiss_image_axam0618.jpg?itok=F1-gRxgV

I'm not going to post the picture because it's massive, but zoom in on players or refs to see sponsorships if you would like. The also usually have a Skoda parked behind the glass in one of the corners.

Last edited by a moderator: