N-Pro Headguard banned

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
TBH can't see anything wrong with headgear in picture.

My guess is the WR gears were not greased sufficiently.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Or the required testing has not been concluded yet.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The manufacturers make some fairly bold claims. I suspect World Rugby wants to evaluate those claims before they approve it (and therefore appear to agree with the claims?)

"With this in mind, N-Pro has built a headguard specifically to help prevent medical issues arising from forceful collisions. In particular, the makers of the headguard claim it can protect rugby players from concussion by reducing 'G-force' energy that's transferred into a player's head."

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/npro-rugby-concussion-safe-head-guard

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
my initial thought was the manufacturer's don't understand/haven't investigated the requirements for use within rugby before marketing this.

Or cynically just selling it in the hope that players etc don't know it needs a WR logo.

didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If you are prepared to pay Euro150 based only on a manufacturer's claim then you need some protection (from yourself).

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
An email from RFU HQ was sent to all Societies on Friday about this and I suspect WR's current stance has everything to do with those claims about concussion.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
WR Regulations for headgear:
3.4.1 Impact Attenuation - When tested in accordance with the procedures specified in Section 4.3 (head drop test),the peak acceleration of impacts delivered to test locations shall not be less than 200g.

So current regulations possibly disqualify it for being *too* protective. I'm not sure what the logic is, presumably they were discouraging the development of protective helmets that endanger other players.

There's also a stipulation of the padding being homogeneous that may not be met. In any case, it's unlikely they'd approve something that doesn't meet their specifications without a lot of testing, if only for liability issues if it turns out to make things worse.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It's quite worrying the amount of people who think a scrum cap protects against concussion and head injury. I try to educate where I can but I'm definitely fighting a losing battle. It appears the marketing for this one is not going to help my crusade!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Conventional "wisdom" is that a head guard may protect against soft tissue injury, eg having ear torn or scalp cut, but does not protect against concussion.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's an interesting challenge for WR. I don't see how they can ban it on the grounds that the claims made are unsupported. A manufacturer might claim that a headguard is waterproof, or comfortable, or keeps you cool, or keeps you warm, or has amazing wicking properties, or smells nice.... I don't think anyone would suggest that by allowing people to wear it, WR were endorsing those claims.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Given that for it to be wearable, it must have the WR logo, I absolutely can see how people could make that claim

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Given that for it to be wearable, it must have the WR logo, I absolutely can see how people could make that claim

That's a myth isn't it.
I don't think any head guard has the Worldrugby logo on it.
Photo?

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Conventional "wisdom" is that a head guard may protect against soft tissue injury, eg having ear torn or scalp cut, but does not protect against concussion.

Coventional wisdom amongst whom? The majority of player and parents I speak to believe they help prevent concussion, and players wear them for this purpose, not to prevent cuts etc.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Coventional wisdom amongst whom? The majority of player and parents I speak to believe they help prevent concussion, and players wear them for this purpose, not to prevent cuts etc.

Scottish Rugby, amongst others (there are academic research papers that support this). You've presumably not had the "if in doubt, sit them out" session at your society meeting yet!

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
am I missing something? - none of the three headguards featured on p11 actually have a worldrugby logo ?

can anyone see a logo anywhere here?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...h=939#safe=active&tbm=isch&q=rugby+headguard+

14165.jpg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
wrlogo.jpg

The logo is on the clothing label (inside with the washing instructions, etc.)

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

FFS!!! (not aimed at Paule23!)

didds