National School 7's

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Afternoon

Just wondering how many of us here got a little damp yesterday at the school 7's and who else is attending ?

Ben

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Afternoon

Just wondering how many of us here got a little damp yesterday at the school 7's and who else is attending ?

Ben

when you say a "little damp" do you mean it was raining or is that a euphemism for sexual excitement? :wow:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dickie,

There was nothing sexually exciting about it at all; it peed down in buckets, the wind blew and we all froze our tuches off. Small boys stood there in the rain, some went off to hospital with hypothermia, yet sensible school masters stuffed their teams back into their mini buses and went home.

Lots of muttering as to why it had not been called off and then suddenly an enormous clap of thunder and referees abandoned games willy nilly retreating quickly to the referee's grot, refusing to emerge. I was lucky as I was in charge of ordering my colleagues out into the fray and could stay in the comparative luxury of a drafty portakabin on wheels. Mind you I did not warm up until I had driven home and dived into a hot bath.

Today was much better, still cold and windy but no rain though a bit claggy underfoot. Excellent rugby though in an all day U16 competition.

However, a certain member of our fraternity has yet to explain exactly why, when he was TJing for me in the later rounds today, he came to attack a 75 year old school governor who had been innocently standing by the side of the pitch supporting his school. Apparently a good old second row shoulder charge sent the old boy flying but then, if you must stand too close to the touchline, what can you expect.

Tomorrow sees the start of the Open (U18) competition and the Ladies events so one's level of excitement could indeed rise as the standard of rugby will no doubt be something to behold.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
However, a certain member of our fraternity has yet to explain exactly why, when he was TJing for me in the later rounds today, he came to attack a 75 year old school governor who had been innocently standing by the side of the pitch supporting his school. Apparently a good old second row shoulder charge sent the old boy flying but then, if you must stand too close to the touchline, what can you expect.

I've no idea what you're talking about :D

And no-one mentioned the other two who went flying as well.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I only got two victims running touch on RE1 yesterday.

Quite few near misses but they all took the steps back just in time.

One victime was a school coach who continually came well into the 5m channel, and I got him with 'the running backwards elbows with flag' technique.

The other was a pompous man (assumed he was a father, or probably 'pater' to his offspring who attended a well known public school) who insisted on standing right on the touchline. After a few general warnings to step back to all present along that line (it was a play off match) I was genuinely forced to accelerate (well as much as I can these days) as an attacker burst through almost on touch and as I passed my (very muddy) boot went over the top of this parent's nice shoes and brushed against his Saville Row suit. He spent the rest of the match well back.

Mr Dibden in the middle and Mr Broadwell on the other line completed this 'Dream Team of 3'.

Great to see the London Refs at RE, renew old contacts and make some new ones. Great ground management by Big J, excellent banter from all concerned, DB and Dobby especially amusing at times, and glad Mr Dibden got out of the library to come down and do a few matches.

Team of Day were 'Feltham Community School' whose # 6 (one of three big boys with peroxide hair) really p*ssed Big J off by saying to him 'you can't f***ing well tell me to shut up ref" - oooops. Needless to say their match against Wellington was a rout but terrific to see lads like this being exposed to rugby, and perhaps a different cultural world - ya ok ?

Other moments of day -

1. RGS High Wycombe mother in pink wellies getting so caried away as her son scored a breakaway try she ended up on 15m line jumping up and down. Yellow card shown, smile and 'move off the pitch' before I shoot you' gave her momentary shock - and reduced touchline to laughter.

2. PC Plod and gang of three community officers all standing on pitch at RE1 tents touchline - my sharp rebuke of "you should know better, get off the pitch now" and seeing the four of them take three immediate steps back, made my day.

On a serious note, the organisers should consider touchline barriers on RE1 and RE2 for future years. At times it was like negotiating the A3 !

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I only got two victims running touch on RE1 yesterday.

Quite few near misses but they all took the steps back just in time.

One victime was a school coach who continually came well into the 5m channel, and I got him with 'the running backwards elbows with flag' technique.

I got 5 or 6 for not retreating on the M pitches on wednesday.

For those who dont know me, I am slightly taller and more rotund than Big J and have size 14 boots, why people dont get out of my way amazes me also we do wear day glow lime green.

Ben

Ben

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
get yourself one of the new pink shirts - nobody will go anywhere near you with that one!

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
A DB, Didben, Thomas Team of 3! Wow!

BigDai

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was doing the Monday, before play was abandoned. Clearly the worst weather I have played or reffed in.
Moment of the day was when two 13 yo captains arrived for the toss, one in marroon and mustard and the other in marroon and brown. "Right lads, your shirts are too similar the first toss will be to see who plays in skins."
The look on their cold, wet faces was a picture!:eek: