[CLUB RUGBY] 'Neutral' TMOs in the Pro12

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just saw this link and thought others might be interested.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...s-pro12-introduce-neutral-television-11789218

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed (and not just in the tone of the article). I think it sends out completely the wrong message. "... you're going to think they're biased, even though we know they are not". Come on. Fans have complained, okay, so release a press statement saying something like "We have complete confidence in our referees' impartiality and we think pandering to your misconceptions is a waste of time and money".

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Sadly those who regulary are exposed to the pro 12 understand the concerns. Non neutral ARs and TMOs. There is a problem. It needs to be addressed. The league has little credibility. Sorry it it not good to read but the problem is well known and understood.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
wrt TMOs ... given this is a technological age, why does the TMO need to be at the game? why couldn't Aus n NZ have a SA TMO sitting at home in durban with a internet link to whatever video?

(basic concerns over technology breakdown etc aside which are hardly insurmountable)

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agreed Didds. Pretty easy to solve I'd have thought and then cost is less of an issue.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
wrt TMOs ... given this is a technological age, why does the TMO need to be at the game? why couldn't Aus n NZ have a SA TMO sitting at home in durban with a internet link to whatever video?

(basic concerns over technology breakdown etc aside which are hardly insurmountable)

didds

For example:
http://thebunker.nrl.com/

The upside to a TMO watching the game live is that he has the opportunity to see behind-the-play foul play issues that the TV camera may not be focussed on.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
TMOs are, normally, sat in a van watching TV feeds. At least that is the norm in the Pro 12. So they get feeds from the TV company. I can't see how that would be different if they were sat at an office somewhere miles away from the game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
TMOs are, normally, sat in a van watching TV feeds. At least that is the norm in the Pro 12. So they get feeds from the TV company. I can't see how that would be different if they were sat at an office somewhere miles away from the game.

Very true. In my parish they are sat on halfway on level 2 in a box adjacent to the commentators. So have a much broader view of proceedings.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sadly those who regulary are exposed to the pro 12 understand the concerns. Non neutral ARs and TMOs. There is a problem. It needs to be addressed. The league has little credibility. Sorry it it not good to read but the problem is well known and understood.

But the problem is solely (I think/hope) one of perception. This announcement is using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and is going to be jumped on as an admission of fault by every know-it-all supporter who claimed a non-neutral TMO cost their side a game.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Very true. In my parish they are sat on halfway on level 2 in a box adjacent to the commentators. So have a much broader view of proceedings.

Over here they are out in the car park. Not even inside the stadium.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
At the stadium, I understand the TMO has access to all the camera feeds. Would these all be piped to a TMO in another continent?

That said, I believe the NFL uses a centralised system so that TV referees can do more than one game.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
For example:
http://thebunker.nrl.com/

The upside to a TMO watching the game live is that he has the opportunity to see behind-the-play foul play issues that the TV camera may not be focussed on.

They talked about doing this for the Pro12, but decided it was too expensive. I can't remember how much, but many thousands per game.

Not quite sure why - I can't see it costing much to have another couple of screens of a few seconds' delay.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
At the stadium, I understand the TMO has access to all the camera feeds. Would these all be piped to a TMO in another continent?

Why wouldn't they? Its all digital signals after all.

Other than the other concerns over biasdness (alleged) of the "home" TV producer etc, but that's the same whether sat on the half way line or 12,000 m iles away

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
But the problem is solely (I think/hope) one of perception. This announcement is using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and is going to be jumped on as an admission of fault by every know-it-all supporter who claimed a non-neutral TMO cost their side a game.

Sadly I do not think it is without foundation.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why wouldn't they? Its all digital signals after all.
Doesn't the TMO currently have to ask a technician to run the clip he wants? That implies two-way communication of more than just the decision.

I am just trying to think around the problem. We need somebody who actually knows the details of the procedure.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
when the TMO is in a van, I am betting there is a cable trailed across the car park that connects him to the TV feed, and allows convesation with the techniciaon

if the TMO is 1000s of miles away the cable need to be replaced by ... the internet ...

obviously it's doable. I guess there are risks of connection being dropped - - the TMO wouldn't want to be literally at home, sharing the WiFI with the kids ...

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
when the TMO is in a van, I am betting there is a cable trailed across the car park that connects him to the TV feed, and allows convesation with the techniciaon

if the TMO is 1000s of miles away the cable need to be replaced by ... the internet ...

obviously it's doable. I guess there are risks of connection being dropped - - the TMO wouldn't want to be literally at home, sharing the WiFI with the kids ...

I have an image of him sitting on the sofa, on the phone to the TV producer asking him to broadcast particular angles!

- - - Updated - - -

Being crap <> being biased

I'll have to say that next time someone suggests I'm biased!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Being crap <> being biased

When two people are involved in a spot of trouble and the officials can only identify one despite the actual play being 40 metres away. That is not being crap.

We've watched and listened to some in society meeting and it is, at times, a joke.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

I do wonder how these international banks manage...

its not insurmountable.

I WFH 80%+ of the time, based on domestic broadband, and have done so for 5.5 years.

I can't remember the last time I failed to manage to do so through power/ISP issues.

An office environment is probably 99.99999% up

didds