New Euro Comps

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now that the dust has settled and the new deal has been signed - I thought a new thread is probably needed - considering that the old one is 45 pages of speculation.

What are people's views on the new deal?

It seems that that the French and English clubs have got what they wanted (whether that's a good thing is a different matter)

ERC have been comprehensively defeated

Pro12 seems to have come off worse than the existing deal.

The SKY/ BT deal seems genuinely ground breaking more akin to a deal between a free to air and subscriber deal than two pay to view providers.

Does anyone know anymore about the 3rd tier comp who is this aimed at and what is the 'prize' for winning?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is there a link to the deal?
I'm being particularly idol today.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Toby,
the irony of the multi millions being wrestled over, when I'm a volunteer referee, isn't lost on me.

TBH I'm jaundiced by all of it.

Got a nice Semifinal to referee on Saturday though, hope the showers are warm !
Xx

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
TBH I'm just glad all the wrangling is finally over.

No doubt there'll still be some rumblings over the summer, but we should be pleased that sense has been seen and a deal worked out.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Toby,
the irony of the multi millions being wrestled over, when I'm a volunteer referee, isn't lost on me.

TBH I'm jaundiced by all of it.

Got a nice Semifinal to referee on Saturday though, hope the showers are warm !
Xx

I don't see any irony.

You (and me) are involved in a sport for fun, fitness and other reasons

The top level of the game is a business.

I don't see a contradiction - unless you are saying you should get millions?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
And the great news over here is - despite all the 3rd tier stuff - this from FIRA-AER. So if there is 3rd tier competition, they haven't bothered to tell the REgioanl Union that organiser this stuff!

FIRA-AER Chairman and International Olympic Committee Member, Octavian MORARIU would like to clarify the position of FIRA-AER further to the announcement of a European Competitions Accord.

« Over recent months, FIRA-AER has kept an eye on the future for European Clubs Cups. We are grateful to the IRB and FFR (French Rugby Federation) for keeping us informed from time to time on the situation. At present, FIRA-AER has had no contact with the organizers of the new competitions, neither has FIRA-AER been involved in the negotiations. »

« We believe that any competition claiming to be European and which wishes to engage with FIRA-AER’s 48 member unions cannot be organised without the Regional Association or it’s active input, as is now the case with other Olympic sports in Europe. »

« As of today, nothing concrete has been discussed and FIRA-AER awaits the next round of discussions with great interest and readiness. »

link: http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com/article-577.htm

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I always had to laugh - but not in a funny way - when reading all the articles and blogs whilst the Heiny was falling apart at the seams and the oft-quoted ideas of some kind of third level tournament where the likes of Romania, Georgia, Portugal etc etc would be thrown a few scraps from the professional table.

All the time I'm thinking: we have FIRA-AER that organise all European rugby below 6-Nations level. They have to be involved, simple as that!