New penalty positioning

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hi,

What is your take on the new positioning of penalties for foul play ? i.e. in 15m's. Given the size of some local park pitches, this is almost in line with the posts and a huge advantage if the previous penalty would have been on the 5m touch line. Surely this means that kicking for goal will become more prevalent when I thought the whole theme of rugby development was to encourage attacking/running play ?

When the kickers are as good as Biggar and Farrell who needs to give them an advantage ?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First I've heard of it!!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Oh this is the new stuff for next season that is being trialled, the moving of the PK is the least of my worries for these proposed changes!

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well if this is part of the new stuff for next season, then the point would be to improve the angle for the kick to touch so that kickers could get the ball deeper into the attacking territory. Don't forget that with the new law changes, tries will be worth 6 points with a 2 pt conversion kick and penalties will only be worth 2 points (1/4 of what a converted try is worth).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well if this is part of the new stuff for next season, then the point would be to improve the angle for the kick to touch so that kickers could get the ball deeper into the attacking territory. Don't forget that with the new law changes, tries will be worth 6 points with a 2 pt conversion kick and penalties will only be worth 2 points (1/4 of what a converted try is worth).

Point of order........They aren't law changes.......it's just a trial.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
i didn't say it was a law change, you looking to get a ticket :wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i didn't say it was a law change, you looking to get a ticket :wink:

Did I say you did?
Hows your new job as a parking attendant going anyway?
How do you cope with the abuse........oh wait, your used to it from the weekends :booty:

Don't forget that with the new law changes, tries will be worth ..........

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well aware that they're just trials...wrote the message a bit hastily. Apparently it's a bit difficult for you to get the general idea of a post when there's a single wording error in it...changes instead of trials...shame on me

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hang on, nobody told me it was a trial. This was handed down by the RFU as what we had to do for this season. Are we all following it globally ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hang on, nobody told me it was a trial. This was handed down by the RFU as what we had to do for this season. Are we all following it globally ?

Not heard anything about this in Warwickshire.

Anyone else other than Hampshire been told?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
the link Crossref has put on shows where the trials are being used and can't see Hampshire on the list, in fact can't see anywhere in Eng at all :shrug:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Mmmmm did we miss that one, got a link somewhere?

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Has Lawsons not been listening proper like in class?? :pepper:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
the link Crossref has put on shows where the trials are being used and can't see Hampshire on the list, in fact can't see anywhere in Eng at all :shrug:

Army Premiership (= top tier of Corps matches, probably Level 7) are, according to World Rugby, trialing 'Touch' and 'Scrum Wheeled'; according to ARURS they are trialing 'Maul', 'Touch', 'Scrum wheeled' and 'In Goal Infringements' (x2).

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Army Premiership (= top tier of Corps matches, probably Level 7) are, according to World Rugby, trialing 'Touch' and 'Scrum Wheeled'; according to ARURS they are trialing 'Maul', 'Touch', 'Scrum wheeled' and 'In Goal Infringements' (x2).

but if you look at the link Crossref put up, none of the trialled stuff is in the Army comp :chin:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
but if you look at the link Crossref put up, none of the trialled stuff is in the Army comp :chin:

Page 5, Column 5 ...