New Ref : First Game : My post match thoughts/report.

Psychic

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, after passing my ELRA two seasons back, I finally got round to actually reffing my first game today. A level 11 adult game - a couple of ‘seconds’ teams - but still a league match, so the result was (I presume) important. And, to be honest, by the end of the game I felt truly awful.

What follows now is a write up of today’s experience. This is firstly for me to write it down so I have something to reflect on, but secondly to allow some of the more experienced refs, if they are patient enough to read this, to give me some honest, but also constructive criticism and advice to help me move forward.

A quick overview of me: 43 years old, ex junior football referee (few years), and never really played rugby since leaving school. I got ‘into’ rugby 2 years ago when my son, who is pretty good, started playing. To help support him, and his team/club, I decided to take the ELRA. With my local society short of refs at the moment, I was encouraged to actually start reffing, and got assigned my first game today.

I was pretty nervous going into this. I’d been going through the rule book as much as I could, and felt confident that I knew a good majority of the laws. For reasons unknown, I was woken at 3am last night with cramp in both calves. Not sure if it was stress related, but they were still aching when I got to the ground today.

I arrived at the ground an hour before the kickoff, with my son who came to watch. Was a little nervous, but not too bad at that point, got changed and did a pitch inspection. All well and good so far. Half an hour before the game I went to each team, did a boot inspection (found a missing stud which I got them to fix), and did a team talk with FR (+replacements) & the captains. I was a little stuttery here, but covered what I wanted to, ensuring the CTPA, and agreed with both captains rolling subs. All still good, and I was feeling reasonable.

Quarter to three, I go through a small warm-up routine, stretching muscles and doing some short runs.

Three o’clock came, I did the toss up, and ensured both teams were ready. I then blew my whistle to start the game, the kick was made, and I went completely blank. Utter rabbit in headlight moment.

It probably took three minutes before I was able to actually referee to any level at all! By then I believe I missed a number of offenses, which the players were only to keen to point out. I attempted to brush this off and then tried to do what I could. I’d also realised that I hadn’t started either stopwatch, so ended up just using the actual time to work out when the half would finish!

From then on, I believe I was equitable. I was equally poor to both sides!

I was, apparently, missing quite a few offences in the mauls/rucks. My positioning at that point wasn’t that bad (I don’t think), but in reflection, I wasn’t exactly sure what I was seeing half the time. Just a mass of bodies. I know the laws about handling in rucks, and being on your feet to get involved, coming in from the back, but it didn’t help. To be honest, I think I was just swamped with the amount of things that I was supposed to be looking at, that I didn’t really look at anything properly. I was also missing a few people creeping in from the sides. Apparently there was a lot of players on the floor pulling people down, and people not being released.

Here then came a problem, which I caused, then compounded, which became a vicious circle.

I missed things. I knew that, and the players knew that. Some of the players, from both sides, were being a little vocal about it, and the captains were passing some feedback/queries to me, questioning laws etc that I had missed. I know, in reflection, I should have done more at that point to stamp it out. However, I felt so guilty for missing things, and I felt they were almost justified to complain. I felt it would have been worse if I missed an offence by black, then penalised red for complaining about me missing it. In a way I felt I had caused the problem, so they weren’t in the wrong. However, their comments compounded my issues as I became more and more aware of the fact that I wasn’t quite up to it, which made me feel more and more incompetent. So a downward slope crept in.

Both teams were guilty of dissent. Not the entirety of each team, at least I didn’t hear it from all of the players, but I’d say both were equally bad. Both captains questioned many instances, decisions (or lack of them): what is ‘normal’ comments/feedback from captains? I don’t even know what I should expect from them!

I continued on, trying to do my best, keeping up with play reasonable well, but I allowed the murmurs of dissent to continue. Then, halfway through the first half, I pulled my left calf muscle. Not bad enough to go off, but it slowed me down, and I was limping at times. The pain from this was a distraction I didn’t need as I knew I was already struggling.

In hindsight, the teams could have cut me a little slack, and given me more chance to actually referee instead of complaining all the time, but I am also aware that they did have something ‘real’ to complain about.

It continued on until about 5 minutes before half time, when I’d had enough of the dissent, and was feeling pretty damn miserable. I didn’t want to be on the pitch any more. I called both captains to me, and explained my situation: That it was my first game, I knew I’d made mistakes and I was sorry, but I was doing my best to give them a game of rugby. They appeared to accept this, and both then got their teams into a huddle to try and calm things. The rest of the first half went without major incident.

The second half was pretty similar to the first. I missed a few things, was accused of missing more (I’m aware that they will try to claim things that weren’t real). About 10 minutes in, my right calf goes, and I’m even slower at getting to places, but soldiered on and never ended up too far away from things.

I felt, quite often at the breakdowns, that I was ‘in the way’, so I think my positioning was not as good as it should have been. I was on the side that the ball was going to come out, to try and get a head start to keep with play, but often found myself in the way of a pass and players telling me to move, or nudging me out of the way.

Scrums, I think went pretty well, and I didn’t get any negative comments back from the players. A few calls of ‘not straight sir’, but for the most part, they went well. No collapses, forced ups, offsides, and only one re-set for coming together way too early.

I believe I made two major mistakes, which both allowed a score that shouldn’t have stood, one for each side (one apparently went into touch just before the score, the other apparently had a knock on before the score) However, I’d made my calls, so couldn’t go back on them. However, even that ended equitable I guess, as it equalled out with both sides profiting from them. (not intentional balance though!)

There was a little handbags towards the end of the second half, but I stopped it quick, and it appeared to dissipate.

For the most part, I think I was able to keep on top of the ‘law’ aspect of the game. (if I ignore the fact I missed jumping early in a lineout). When I actually saw something, I knew what to do next. I had one point when I was going to give a scrum for a missed drop goal, but did change that to a 22 dropout on the insistence of players. That was a mistake too I guess in hindsight. I also had one time when I stopped the game at a breakdown, there was a little skirmish that then happened, then when we got back to the game, I’d completely forgotten what I’d stopped the game and needed the players to remind me!

The game ended at a close 31-29, and when it did I was so relieved to get off the pitch and into the changing rooms. I was happy that I’d actually finished the game though; what with the two calf injuries, and all the dissent I’d suffered, and the amount of things I knew I’d missed, there was a couple of points in the game where I just wanted to walk away and go home, never looking back.

I hobbled upstairs to the bar after the game, wondering what to expect, but people actually spoke to me, and were polite about it! Apparently I wasn’t the worst ref they’d had this season, which may not say much for the other one! I was given some ‘pointers’, saying to concentrate more on knock-ons and offsides more in my next game, as they were more important to the game. But this was from an ex-player/spectator so not sure of the advice. Both coaches were very polite and pleasant, which eased some of my worries.

What I took away from this ‘experience’:
My positioning needs
  • Work to get out of the way or the play & players, but still allowing me to keep up.
  • I need to work on sprint training to try and build up calves. I usually do distance running in the gym, so I think this should change to try and prevent calf pulls.
  • Somehow, I need to take control of the game, and be more confident with what I’m doing, to help the players respect my decisions, even if they are wrong. I guess this comes with experience/time.
  • I need to stamp on dissent somehow (even if I feel guilty about doing it!) to stop it bringing me, and the game down, and stop it spreading. This won’t be easy, as I feel inferior to them with my lack of rugby experience.
  • Somehow I need to learn exactly what to look for in breakdowns, so I can actually see all of the offences.
  • I need to be more vocal. In my nervous state, I was signalling advantage, but rarely calling it. (I did call when advantage over). I didn’t call most mauls/rucks. I didn’t really get any (good) communication going with the teams. (I think the dissent and my poor performance contributed to that).

Whilst I’m aware of some of the issues, there are probably more. A big problem I have is knowing ‘how’ to deal with them though, to ensure that I’ve improved. Not really many resources of places to get ref ‘training’.

A bigger problem will be getting up the courage to go through all this again though. I really don’t want to feel ‘beaten’ though, and hate the idea that I may have ‘failed’, so I will ref again if I can get to the point where I feel that I’ve actually improved on a number of areas.

Today wasn’t pleasant. Some of it was caused by the two teams, and their handling of a first time referee, but by no means all. I know I was poor, and I hated it. I didn’t expect to flounder quite that much, despite it being my first game and my zero experience as a player. I am quite self-critical, to a fault, and everything compounded together today to something that I really don’t want to experience again.

Update: I have just received a voice-mail (damn phone signal) call from the chairman of the home side’s club. He has apologised, profusely, for the behaviour of his side’s treatment of me. Not sure how he’d heard about it (he wasn’t at the game), but he was appalled by their actions. At this point I found out exactly how wound up I’ve been about it all, as I broke down in tears at hearing his words. I don’t think I’ve ever reacted like that to non-life-critical things!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
That's to bad to hear, you're going to hear it a lot I'm assuming that it only gets better which is completely true.

The one thing that I'll address is your positioning, why do you feel that you were in the way, as in where were you in relation to the rucks?
I'm assuming you were very close to the ruck and were in line of the crash ball. To remedies if your fast you can go behind the rucks (not recommended, but you can see some things here that you won't recognize I figured out my positioning with help from this forum and this position). The other which really works for me, is get into the ruck and then realize the side that has won the ball, and then once realized move about 5-7m out away from the ruck there is normally a gap where the forwards stop and the backs start which you can easily step into once the ball is out allowing the offense to go on attack.

Happy to talk any time
Cody

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
What a hugely brave and honest post. Not got time to offer any detailed solutions at the moment, other than to say it gets better, get back on the horse ASAP. It can only get better.

I'm sure the good folk of rrefs.com will rally round to help you.

Don't give up it is worth it no one said it was an easy hobby!

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Pyschic

First things first, much kudos to you for the way that you have taken up the whistle. It will get better as time goes on and you will find that experience helps. The more games you do the more you have seen before and understand what is happening.

You did several things that where right from the very start, You should be there an hour or so before the game that allows you time to adjust to your surroundings and get your game head on as well as complete all the little things that you want to do. Big plus for doing a front row brief and getting accross the things you wanted. It also sounds that you managed scrum time during the game as if there were issues they would have left you know afterwards.

A tip for your front row brief, write it down and practice it until you are comfortable and confident with it.

I would suggest that you need to stamp on the dissent early and hard, set your standard to the captain and then ask tell and penalise through if you need to. Interestingly I did a game today where dissent was a problem, and I had to issue a number of penalties against both sides for it. I spoke to the captains to deal with it during the game and they tried, based on the rollocking they gave their teams. After the game I spoke to the captains and they agreed it seems to be creeeping into the game more and whats needed is it being quashed.

I would also suggest looking at the communication hints and tips on here and try to work a little on this. Basically be specific colour and number, be brief and dont enter discussions.

Most of all try and relax and enjoy it.

Out of interest what Society are you in, a L11 merit game seems a strong game to start with.

Good luck, and ask all the questions you want

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think L11 is quite high for first game. Mine was about L13 but just a friendly and like you I found it hard. I had played for 20 years and had reffed juniors for 3 years. The fact you can reflect on the experience will stand you in good stead. It will be a lot easier next time - honest.

It will look better in the morning.:hap:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just remember: John Lennon was crap the first time he picked up a guitar.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Sounds par for the course for a first game, especially as you have not come from a regularly playing background.

You will start to get your eye in and begin to see what is going on, but you will suffer for a few games. Suck it up, treat it as a learning curve and itcwill get better quite quickly, I promise.

Positioning - at breakdown get in close first, locate the ball and ensure tackler release and ball release, then move away to the side, towards the near touchline if you can so you are looking at the open side - get in the space between the two offside lines, far enough away so you are not impeding the crash ball, but close enough to see hands etc. Don't stand still.

You will always miss things and players will keep telling you if you don't shut them up. If you've missed it how do you know it happened, they'll tell you anything.

Sprint training would be good, yes you need stamina, but you must, repeat must, develop the speed to be first at the breakdown - then you get a good clear view!

Baptism of fire over, it will get better.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember my first match very well, exactly the same experiences. Passed the law tests, raring to go, blow the whistle and BOOM, shit, where did all that preparation and knowledge go!

What the players and new refs don't realise is how much is going on at once. It's not like a "normal" sport where usually only one thing is happening at once, even the most benign phases of play have multiple things to watch for. This does get easier with time as it becomes more instinctive than reactive. I barely think on the pitch (in a good way!), it's all about how things fit into patterns and how things should look but you're going to learn that over time.

I still think that writing down 3 aims for the game and trying to achieve those is the best way to progress. Maybe yours could be:

1: Get into a good position from which to be able to see the ball
2: Cut back on dissent
3: Ref the game in 20 min blocks, reset my standards every 20.

Keep at it, it does get easier and is very enjoyable (even the very tough games have their hidden gems)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That may make my shortlist for post of the year - thank you.

It was very honest. it also made me step back and think for a bit. I've been refereeing for a while, and took a big step back when I came to the States. I think I've forgotten what hell can be like when you start off.
It's easy for us to pass on advice like we did in the other thread; in the end, it all boils down to you, and your whistle.

I remember my first game at Eastleigh, with their 3rds. My preparation - I jest not - had been "got a whistle? good. here's a Law Book - good luck at Eastleigh"

I'm pretty sure I lived on sheer brass neck for a while; I'm also 'psychologically lucky' - I never got the first time nerves. I made it an absolute competition between me and them, and I don't back down from competition.

You're going to get better. and it's going to get easier. Change one thing a game and get that right. I can pretty much guarantee that however many mistakes you made, the teams probably made more.

Keep us updated.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Psychic, you're not alone mate. There was so much in your post that sounded familiar, you would not believe.

If you don't believe me, have a quick look at my debut HERE. Even some of the phrases you used were virtually identical to ones I used.

I used the phrase "emotionally mugged" after my car crash fisrt game; the chances are that's exactly how you feel at the moment.

I haven't got time to give you a proper reply at the moment; I'll get you a better one later but in the meantime if it's any consolation to you my first one was by far and away my worst, and after about 6 games you actually get to enjoy them.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Psychic

Thanks for sharing your experience - particularly as it is so raw. Please, please believe me when I say there will be few members on here who don't remember (in some cases many years on) the feelings of abject misery arising from an early game. Everything you describe is perfectly normal: too much going on; needing time to think means more stuff has been missed while thinking; rabbit in the headlights; sympathy with the teams because you are ruining their game. Failing to crack down on dissent because you know it's "justified" by your poor performance.

In your thread on the pre-match talk, I wrote:

You are right - don't tell 'em its Game 1 - at least until the end. You will make loads of mistakes, and doubts will arise that you've never even considered in the theory-based training. DON'T PANIC - this is entirely normal. Make a decision and stick with it to the end of the game. If you end up with both defences 15m behind the scrums, it's the same for both sides. It takes at least 6 games (and more likely an entire season) for patterns to start imprinting themselves on your brain so the arm goes out instinctively. In your initial games, you'll have to think about each situation, and while thinking you'll find three more thngs have just happened, and you are constantly playing catch-up while feeling hopelessly out of control. This is exhausting! But it's a necessary hurdle to getting better.

Does that sound like where you were in the game? If so, remember it was a prediction; nothing you've described is uncommon for an early game. Horrible, scary, humiliating, emotionally and physically exhausting. It's all of that, and more. And if you've got the balls to get out there and do it again, and again, and again - then you've got what it takes to be a good referee. Trust me, just as I was able to predict how it would go, so I am able to predict how steep will be the improvement curve, spurred by your refusal to accept that standard from yourself ever again.

Stick with it, Psychic. Focus on a very few things each game, to improve that aspect. And get onto a Spinning class at your local gym; easy on the joints, it's a great way to get the calves and respiratory system fit without killing a body that may have lost a bit of spring over the years.

Good luck.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
its not you mate! Each and everyone of us has been there, and many of us will sometimes go there again...and again. What you will find out is that its not you, its a series of events of which you are just a part. A duff unsupportive pair of captains, a whingy team, an early miss by you, an injury, a lack of players' skill, a few very close decisions. Yesterday I made a monster booboo, the touch judge was leaping around, I gave touch, but in fact he was just excited. There was a crowd of about 200 jeering in outrage at my incompetence etc. The trick I have learned is to put it behind you straight away, and this is a serious and professional skill to develop, and allows you to come straight back "on line", it is worth working on.
Dont for a minute think
1) its you
2) of giving up!

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi,

I will join the chorus of "we've all been there, done that". Trust me, we have. My first game was a "friendly" which turned out to be a local derby. Exactly like you, I haven't got any great playing experience, with the added complication of being young (as in, less than half the age of the youngest player I would think). I blew the whistle and then spent the next 70 minutes (nobody seemed fussed about playing 80) having not a clue where to stand, what to say and what to do.

It gets better. I am still refereeing several years on. Kudos for going into the bar afterwards, this is crucial: not only do you get very handy feedback at times, but it is the friendliness of players and officials after the game that makes it all (for me) worthwhile. At the end of the day, 30 (plus subs) players enjoyed a game of rugby thanks to you, and most will be grateful at least for that.

The advice I will give you is to concentrate on a few aspects. Don't think you can solve everything in a hurry (I am still figuring out some positional aspects and scrums). I would say concentrate on:
1) Speed: more than positioning, from what you've written I get the impression a lot of the problems at rucks were because you arrived late, and possibly missed the first offence, after which it becomes a free for all. You must try to be the "3rd man" at a tackle. That way you can make sure that you can deal with (in order) the tackler, the tackled player, and then the arriving players. If the tackler doesn't move, tell him. If he still doesn't penalise him.
2) Dissent: I know full well the feeling of guilt. It took me about a season until I built up the confidence to assert myself and stamp it out. Once you do that, the game gets easier. I advise you not to leave it for a season. Tell the captain beforehand, and as soon as the advice/criticism starts call over the captain(s) and tell them "we spoke about this before the game, sort it out or I will", if they don't then penalise. You'll find after a few penalties they start learning (and if you're lucky some of the "old-heads" in the team will take matters into their hands and tell their team-mates to shut it).
3) Go out there again next week!

Another possibility: try to get a society friend down to watch and support. Could be an injured referee or an assessor (but not for formal assessment necessarily). Give your soc sec a ring and ask if it's possible.

Don't let it get to you. We really have all been through this.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
David

A very honest and brave posting.

Funnily enough, while you were going through your baptism of fire, I was watching another referee on his first game. I am just looking at my notes on his game and guess what......they are almost exactly like your posting.

What is even funnier is that while I was watching him on the 3rd team pitch, the referee who watched my first game, was on the first team pitch. Later on we discussed the fact that all the mistakes the new referee made, were exactly the same ones that I made 4 or 5 years ago, when he watched me.

There's nothing new under the sun and your first game is fairly typical. Unfortunately you didn't have anyone watching you to point out all the good things you did correctly. There will have been several things that you did well, but you will only remember the bad things at the moment. When you sit down to write your self evaluation for your ELRA 3 find some good points and make a note of them as well, this is as important as noting the bad points.

The main point I told my new referee about was positioning. His late/poor positioning led to him missing several offenses that he would otherwise have seen, this leads to mumbling from the players and so the vicious circle begins.

Gaps in law knowledge will come with time. Confidence in communication and posture will come in time.

Stick with it, we have all been there and we all survived. The fact that people spoke to you after a game is a huge plus, it means you weren't as bad as you thought.

Remember this as well; 30 blokes had a game of rugby they couldn't have had without you. They enjoyed themselves and no one was seriously hurt. That is a good result in my book.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Psychic - well done for getting out there and giving it a go.

You can learn from mistakes, but don't dwell on them. Years ago I played golf with a friend who went round in 183. The only thing he remembers is the one time he hit a really good drive. Give yourself a treat and remember something good.

Positioning and judgement will only come with experience. Dissent you can (and should) deal with from the start. Captains can ask for an explanation of a decision at a suitable break in play, but no discussion until after the game. It is much easeir to stop dissent if you start right at the beginning before they get into their stride.

I have no doubt at all that you know the laws better than most of the players. During the match, your decision is correct - and then look it up when you get home.

Remember how difficult it seemed when you learned to drive? Keep on truckin'. As others have said, you will get there, and be able to look back with amusement.

Jabba

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have just completed 100 odd games in my reffing career and my first game finished 31-29 with a questionable try! My only piece of advice that works for me, is to be confident about a decision, blow and give the call. 99/100, if you seem confident, all players will believe you and get on with the game. If you seem indecisive, then that is where issues can stem from. My shocker was game 3 or 4 - again, like you I had a calf injury and the game descended into a bit of a shambles and EVERYONE on here has had them. But, please stick with it, it ain't easy, but you will get better and you will enjoy it. I look forward to my Saturdays and Sundays (despite a c*ck of a coach today in a Junior game!) so 36 guys can have a decent game of rugby - as mentioned before, they would not have done so without you. Please let us know how much better game 2 goes.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
<B>In hindsight, the teams could have cut me a little slack, and given me more chance to actually referee instead of complaining all the time, but I am also aware that they did have something ‘real’ to complain about.</B>

mate - they won't. Sportsmen/women are type "A" personalities on the whole. its not personal against YOU specifically - but is a natural thing for them to look for weak spots in "weaker" people etc. You just happened to be that person.

So - whether its right or wrong - they are NEVER going to cut you any slack.

On the plus side hopefully rugby's ingrained ethos and ethics probably didn't mean that you were constantly surrounded by half a dozen players 6 inches from your face, in your personal space, screaming at you a la football.

If you were - you HAD to get the cards out - and report it.

Purely as a thought whilst the society undoubtedly are short of refs I feel you have been let down by your appointments guy - 2 years from doing ELRA and NO experience of reffing in between does not an obvious choice for a 2nd XV league match make to me. I feel you should have been advised to try and spend half a season reffing U13 thru to U16 matches to at least get your thought processes tuned into the tackle area etc.

that all said ... thank you for being a ref and giving up your time. Onwards and upwards!

:)

didds

didds

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
And another thing.... yesterday the away team coach called out in indignation "We'll discuss this after the match ref". Without any pause i replied "only if you buy the beer" and the crowd laughed. It wasn't that funny, but it shut him up. Also the away team complained before the match that their move where they throw to the front of the line was being disallowed by refs who stand in the wrong place. I asked them for the call, so when they called it I was able to position myself. It worked a treat.

Psychic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Many thanks for your replies and words of encouragement.

Peperami: I’m part of the Bristol society.
Lee Lifeson-Peart: It didn’t. My stubbornness to continue faded.
4eyesbetter: Some would say he didn’t get better! :)

After giving it some time and reflection over the weekend, I think it is going to be some time before I return to refereeing adult rugby. Whilst I knew that there was going to be a lot I needed to learn and work on, I really did not expect how unpleasant the whole experience was going to be. And, for something that I really wanted to do – voluntarily – I just don’t think I can justify the amount of emotional trauma that I sustained, both from the teams and the spectators.

The ‘step up’, in my experience, is not an easy one, and certainly not what I’d expected from a rugby environment. To be honest, I don’t think I was ever made to feel that bad during my tenure as a football referee!

I have spoken to my society who have offered to get an assessor to go out with me next time I want to ref, but to be honest, that wouldn’t be enough to get me through it anyway. Having a friend on the sideline doesn’t really help when you’re stuck in the middle! :)

I do intend to work on the fitness side of things however, especially sprint training, and I hope to stay involved by running touch for adult games where I can possible gain some experience without being burnt at the stake! Maybe later on down the line I’ll feel confident enough to risk taking up the whistle again.

I think perhaps it would probably be better to try and start lower down, in the junior age groups, to be able to build confidence and gain game experience. However, I’m not sure how practical this is going to be for me, as most junior game referees are not society assigned around here, and also I am already involved with my son’s U14 team where the joint coach does all the home reffing, so most game times would clash with my attendance here. I could possibly force my way into doing a game or two for my son’s team, but, to be honest, I don’t think I’d want to referee a game at the moment where I actually know all the players and supporters. At least at the game last weekend I could drive away from the club knowing that I probably wouldn’t have to see most of them again. We don’t currently have an U13’s at the club, so I can’t go down a year, and the U15’s upwards are getting a little feisty with hormones kicking in, and they may prove a little hard to handle for a new ref.

Apart from that, I’m not really sure what I can do to build up experience/confidence. I plan to keep attending the society meetings and gain what I can from there, and reading what I can here to learn from other’s experience. I’d like to find some kind of advanced refereeing training course, but I’m not sure if they exist. The ELRA certainly didn’t prepare me for my first game. Mind you, without having a squad of players on hand, I’m not sure how better ref training could go. I know I’d like to be able to ‘see’ more ‘real’ offences, without actually holding the whistle at the time, but see them from a referees perspective so I could recognise what I was looking at – especially in the pile ups of bodies. I think actually seeing offences, and having them pointed out in a training environment, would be greatly beneficial – certainly from my point of view.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Psychic - does your home club have a Club Referee Coordinator? If so he/she should be able to facilitate you reffing other age groups -- I am a CrefC, and this is exactly what I spend time doing. (We have the impetus of playing league rugby where the league rules are that no one associated with the age group may ref, so we have enforced swapping ariound for league games, which helps).

Also talk to your coach -- by u14 the coach really shouldn't be reffing: a coach reffing means he's not reffing well, and not really coaching properly either. A ref and a coach will be (should be) looking at quite different things during a game. Perhaps he's secretly dying for you to step up and offer to take the reffing off his hands?

Also - do ever watch any low-level adult grass-roots games? Of the level you'd be likely to ref? For me after after twenty years of only watching first class rugby (internationals on TV, season ticket at premiership club) and then age group rugby (u7-u16) when I finally went along and watched a grass-roots game I found it all very different!