[Kit] New rugby boots

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hello peoples.
Im changing my boots as my existing boots are slightly cracked & my feet getting wet
They are asics scrum ( or something named similar ).
With ally studs .
I do like them & considering getting like for like .

But im toying with plastic studs or blades.
Purely for more agility when running & not getting too stuck in mud , in poor weather .

So any advise / views on how to proceed .
I dont like change , but im willing to try different type if there is a genuine advantage

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi there, your profile doesn't say where you are, but here in Eng, it's moulded studs until around mid Oct and then studs until at least March. and for those that suffer with calf etc problems stick with asics (although Adidas now have a raised heal too :wink: )

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Until Saturday, I wouldn't have had an opinion, but after having some lump of a forward step on my toe (which has now gone black) I'd suggest old-school front row boots with toe caps!

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Best so far that I have found for refereeing - comfy as a comfy thing and no leg pains of any kind. The only downside is their colour.

Attachments

• 23618.jpg
    23618.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 86

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
2 players with illegal boots today. Simple to check had a 10mm AF spanner with me

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Until Saturday, I wouldn't have had an opinion, but after having some lump of a forward step on my toe (which has now gone black) I'd suggest old-school front row boots with toe caps!
Can you still get boots with a hard toe? Back in my day, they were pretty common eg the Adidas Flanker - a low cut boot with a hard toe, but I don't think I've seen a hard toe in years.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can you still get boots with a hard toe? Back in my day, they were pretty common eg the Adidas Flanker - a low cut boot with a hard toe, but I don't think I've seen a hard toe in years.

I'm not sure. I played in them right up until I retired, but really struggled to find my last playing pair (proper ankle boots, about 10 years ago) and haven't seen any since.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I bought new asics on weekend ,i tried on a few pairs of low height plastic studs ,,found them very unstable . Suposedly top range stuff ( wasnt for me ) ,,ill stick to me tried & tested .

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

My big toe got stood on on 2nd April.

3rd April bled all day.

1 month toe nail popped up like a bonnet on a Ford Capri when I snagged it in the duvet.

6 months toe nail grown 1/2 way back

Enjoy!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
2 players with illegal boots today. Simple to check had a 10mm AF spanner with me

Pray explain why you were carrying a 10mm spanner with you.:shrug:

My rule of 'thumb' is the size/shape of your little finger end.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Pray explain why you were carrying a 10mm spanner with you.:shrug:

My rule of 'thumb' is the size/shape of your little finger end.

Simple way to enlighten players about the legal size studs should be, I don't have a stud gauge anymore