New Score Card design

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I've been using this one for about 3 years now.

I love how simple it is both during the match and after (math...).

What do ya' think?

Score-Card-4-x-6-card-So-Cal-Refs-v2.jpg

Sized for a 4x6 type holder but I had it originally sized for the smaller size wallet also.

Patrick

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
A couple of questions: How do you mark converted vs unconverted tries? Where do you track carding and sin-bin time?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not for me, my head doesn't work that way - if it works for others then great

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously, how does it work ?
Let's say red scored a converted try after 10 mins
Then at 15 mins blue score pK
Then at 20 red score a try, miss the conversion

What would the scorecard look like ?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not sure that helped me.

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Here's a blank back - penalty side:
Card-Back-blank.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you awake!

I'm building as fast as I can....

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Scoring - illustrated:
View attachment 3974

So, if you add up the Try's first (in the Pasadena side (left), you can see 5 boxes have been marked - ignoring how many slashes for now.

Breaks down like this:
View attachment 3976
Explaining it is much harder then actually using it (famous last words, I know).

See if this makes sense to you guys then ask away.

Patrick

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Genuine question. Why do you need to record the time of the score (try, PK, FG) or whether a goal kick missed (it doesnt score anything)??? Or do you do that for your own OCD reasons (to help justify your score at the end of the game should there be a dispute)?

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I think you're missing it - or I don't exactly understand your question.

You DON'T mark it when NO conversion is made.

The Kick & Coin part - is that what you're also asking? This:
View attachment 3977

Mostly, just housekeeping - trying to have a simple way to record pertinent info.

Patrick

Last edited:

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I think I screwed that reply up - it was for me or in general - right?

Why would I care about when a team doesn't score?

Other then the question of when, do you want me to illustrate an answer to your question - happy to, let me know.

Patrick

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Genuine question. Why do you need to record the time of the score (try, PK, FG) or whether a goal kick missed (it doesnt score anything)??? Or do you do that for your own OCD reasons (to help justify your score at the end of the game should there be a dispute)?

I keep times to help me remember the structure of the game, it helps me reflect post-match. And to show the score at the time of giving cards, in case - it's part of a sending-off report.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I can't remember the last time I had a dispute (in the sense of someone thinking I had the score wrong) but yes, exactly, if anyone wants to check the score with me then knowing the sequence of scores, and the success/failure of each kick at goal definitely helps the narrative

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think I screwed that reply up - it was for me or in general - right?

Why would I care about when a team doesn't score?

Other then the question of when, do you want me to illustrate an answer to your question - happy to, let me know.

Patrick

Yes, go on, and I will show you what my scorecard would look like

AIUI you do record missed conversion, that's a single line, rather than a cross, isn't it ?

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I keep times to help me remember the structure of the game, it helps me reflect post-match. And to show the score at the time of giving cards, in case - it's part of a sending-off report.

Got it - I understand what and why you asked that.

I do about 20-28 15's matches per season and another 30 7's for that season.

I literally have no more time to collect more live data.

I've dreamed about something that combines a watch and a running verbal memo system to do exactly what you mentioned but, again, for now, just dreamed about it.

This is just to record the most specific info to get the match done. I've packed my score card with as many options to just circle, mark or check things so I don't have to write anything that will take my attention away or otherwise slow the match down.

I tend to reflect and fret about decisions and outcomes on the drive home and most of all day Sunday.

Patrick

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I can't remember the last time I had a dispute (in the sense of someone thinking I had the score wrong) but yes, exactly, if anyone wants to check the score with me then knowing the sequence of scores, and the success/failure of each kick at goal definitely helps the narrative

Exactly PLUS, in all collage and Club matches, I'm just one of at least three people keeping all that info. I've missed a slash or a conversion on occasion but it's ALWAYS been obvious to all when that happens - easy to fix and and move on.

Not a concern for me either.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I mark time because discipline reports want to know the score at the time of a card, and I find it easy.

That scorecard is too complex.

We have a simple one which across the x axis simply has Time, T, C, P, DG, Total.
Back of the card is for marking discipline.
Bottom is tracking replacements.

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes

NOTE: this server just crashed and wiped out my reply - awful words swirling around my mouth right now.... Any way to recover Saved replys?

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I mark time because discipline reports want to know the score at the time of a card, and I find it easy.

That scorecard is too complex.

We have a simple one which across the x axis simply has Time, T, C, P, DG, Total.
Back of the card is for marking discipline.
Bottom is tracking replacements.

Come on - really - that's your comment.

I can turn all the soft gray reminders of what goes where off if you need a clearer view but seriously, we give this card to new refs because it infinitely easier to learn how to score a match then using shorthand as you suggest.

What's more complex - one slash mark or making a mark then having to add a T or C or P or DG, etc. to indicate what it's for.

[FONT=&quot]'Observe constantly that all things take place by change'.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Marcus Aurelius[/FONT]